checking for cracked head or bad head gasket..

-
I'm not sure what the spec is on the gap on the intake runners. I know on mine it was about an 1/8" to 3/16" with an eddie air gap. I's sure they vary depending engine specs and mods. I think it's more important to make sure there is a gap so the intake is mating to the heads and not bieng help by the runners.

So the only thing you changed was the cam then? I thought it was the heads too but I thought you posted it was only the cam cover, and intake. Sorry for my confusion. I'm just trying to get a fresh handle on the build again.

Have you run a straight edge along the intake runners yet? ~~~~

yes i did its not the intake...ive told a million people.. ive used this intake on my last set of heads with no problems...I did a compression check and number 1 cylinder has 150 and number 3 has 180 and number 2 cylinder has 150 and number 4 has 180 so im guessing head gaskets are gone..also that noise i complained about...is happening with no distib in and intake off.. I think it might be air escaping from the head gasket

yes i did its not the intake...ive told a million people.. ive used this intake on my last set of heads with no problems...I did a compression check and number 1 cylinder has 150 and number 3 has 180 and number 2 cylinder has 150 and number 4 has 180 so im guessing head gaskets are gone..also that noise i complained about...is happening with no distib in and intake off.. I think it might be air escaping from the head gasket
Yes,but you never told me they were straight lastnight now did you?You,ve also never seen milky oil?Right?Your the one asking the questions,so don,t be getting snarkie in return for people trying to help you.:wack:

what about #5,6,7,8?

does the psi go up on the rear cylinders?
as in maybe the decks are off on the block/heads?

leakdown test.

if you are determined to pull heads off, just pull one and see if the flame ring has been pushed out, if not..I wouldn't pull the other head....but I would cc the head thats off as would I check the how much the valve job was sunk or stems cut.
look at the keeper/lock grooves to see if some are lower/higher than others.

Yes,but you never told me they were straight lastnight now did you?You,ve also never seen milky oil?Right?Your the one asking the questions,so don,t be getting snarkie in return for people trying to help you.:wack:

sorry just mad that i spend more time working then driving

what about #5,6,7,8?

does the psi go up on the rear cylinders?
as in maybe the decks are off on the block/heads?

leakdown test.

if you are determined to pull heads off, just pull one and see if the flame ring has been pushed out, if not..I wouldn't pull the other head....but I would cc the head thats off as would I check the how much the valve job was sunk or stems cut.
look at the keeper/lock grooves to see if some are lower/higher than others.

beat ya to it dartman63.lol

if it were the head gaskets you'd think it would be running rough....

not only that, but you'd pull in water/oil on the intake/down stroke...and push lots of air into the cooling system.

you say you here a woosh of air coming from somewhere?
slim but...could be the ring pushed out to the valley...but 150psi still?hmmmm

if it were the head gaskets you'd think it would be running rough....

not only that, but you'd pull in water/oil on the intake/down stroke...and push lots of air into the cooling system.

you say you here a woosh of air coming from somewhere?
slim but...could be the ring pushed out to the valley...but 150psi still?hmmmm

yes more of a pute kind of a pop but its not all the time. and i checked the runners on the heads and saw no signs of water or anyhting

yeah?

what is the Piston/deck height on all 4 corners?

the motor was zero decked...with my first set of head gaskets and first cam ever in the motor..all cylinders pulled 180 plus

now its 180 in some and lower in others with a little bigger size camshaft and different head gaskets

You never know....I've had head porters in the past tell me...
''in the quest for max air flow I can not guarantee that I won't hit water''

I see, but I still think its not that because I would have had milky oil from the start right?

around the same amount as the other cylinders...ill like 4-5 pumps maybe less

I see, but I still think its not that because I would have had milky oil from the start right?

I would think so...unless when It was cycled just enough and began cracking.

this is reaching, but thats all thats left...

if the decks were sloped diff directions on the block, the intake will always leak.jmo

these are all guesses, so please...no one run with this cause we don't know for sure and not being there working on the car makes this very tricky.

well the plan is too pull the motor and replace all the gaskets...and clean the crap out of them motor to get rid of all that **** thats in it

-
Back