Checking out new heads

-

PRH

Reaction score
For the most part, when inspecting new assembled heads, most of the stuff you find that isn’t exactly how you’d prefer it to be, is fairly minor.
The types of things that may not ever cause any actual problems.

But every once in a while you come across something that reminds you why checking out new assembled heads is worthwhile.

The numbers are thousandths of an inch....... and that’s the guide clearance for one intake guide.
All the others were .002”.

9B71C1F0-DA5F-46B1-A468-ACA46D64793B.jpeg

Last edited:
For the most part, when inspecting new assembled heads, most of the stuff you find that isn’t exactly how you’d prefer it to be, is fairly minor.

But every once in a while you come across something that reminds you why checking out new assembled heads is worthwhile.

The numbers are thousandths of an inch....... and that’s the guide clearance for one intake guide.

View attachment 1715987766
Show me the end of that dial gauge you are using ! What heads are those ?

I hate it you really can't trust stuff now days. It's always good to check stuff out.

Seven thousandths on a brand new valve guide? Damn China, you scary.

3ECC9262-E880-48CF-8450-4539327C7F28.gif

Last edited:
I have seen that too since we started to mess woth 440 source heads. PRW makes some +.002 OD guides that come in handy. I can usually move 1 or two by tapping with a light hammer. Not good! That said, you really cannot expect much for $1200 lol

I have seen that too since we started to mess woth 440 source heads. PRW makes some +.002 OD guides that come in handy. I can usually move 1 or two by tapping with a light hammer. Not good! That said, you really cannot expect much for $1200 lol
No, that ain't good! Loose guides screw up stuff. But not as bad as dropping one! Ouch!

It's what we've all preached for years and years and yet somehow, there are those who refuse to heed the warnings. I wouldn't put any head on any engine that I was not familiar with, even brand new. New doesn't mean good.

It's what we've all preached for years and years and yet somehow, there are those who refuse to heed the warnings. I wouldn't put any head on any engine that I was not familiar with, even brand new. New doesn't mean good.

100% agree. At least pull them down to clean and add a little assy lube etc.

New doesn't mean good.

I couldn’t agree more.

The head in question is a Stealth head.
I’ve come across a few issues with them over the years.
It’s really a good idea to have them looked over before installation.

Last edited:
First question: Does anybody make something similar to the stealth heads, but not Made In China Trash?

Second Question: Do we love the Edelbrock small block heads now, or do we still hate them?

I have a saying “better a hair loose than a hair tight” but I’ve never seen hairs that thick. Damn!!!

First question: Does anybody make something similar to the stealth heads, but not Made In China Trash?

Second Question: Do we love the Edelbrock small block heads now, or do we still hate them?
You gotta make your mind up on that, **** gets expensive when buying parts for what other people want or say is better. For aftermarket heads it's a given that they need to be pulled apart and checked out, with exception to the trickflows I own.
They were pulled apart and checked but nothing was incorrect.

if you want to play engine builder, then you need all the right tools.

I couldn’t agree more.

The head in question is a Stealth head.
I’ve come across a few issues with them over the years.
It’s really a good idea to have them looked over before installation.
Massive burrs on the keeper grooves is a little one but erks me.

-
Back