cheerleaders??

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
watching local fri night news, the anchors visit a high school before a local big game, in the background always are the cheerleaders. every week I think to myself, all those girls look like they might be 12 years old! I know that means i'm getting really old! BUT, every one of them each week look like they are least 50 pounds overweight!!!
are the youth of America REALLY this out of shape??????

Wow! A 50 lb overweight 12 year old girl in a cheerleader skirt.. i did not need that picture in my head. And yes, society is that fat (and really rude). One trip to the local Walmart will prove that.

I realize a 16-17 year old look younger than they really are, just me getting old. but that is not the point. ..... but wow! everyone each week look 99 % of them look like baby blimps. I understand we are all born with a certain body frame, predisposed genetics etc, BUT these girls all need to go one a diet and get some REAL exercise! how overweight will they be in 10 years? not healthy!!!!!
just amazed by it all.

Maybe demographic is a factor. I say this because my grand daughter is in color guard troop. When watching competition events I see a very small percentage of overweight girls. Actually, there's a higher percentage of overweight parents/fans in the stands.

Google state fair images. Pick any state you want and look at the crowds. The number of overweight people in this country is overwhelming.

Wow! A 50 lb overweight 12 year old girl in a cheerleader skirt.. i did not need that picture in my head. And yes, society is that fat (and really rude). One trip to the local Walmart will prove that.

Yes, thanks for putting THAT pic in my head, just went to Wally World a week or so ago, saw a muffin top with a half shirt. She was plowing through the clearance isle looking aimlessly at almost every item while her little one was running all over the store. Some special people in that store.

Farmers get paid by the pound. Livestock steroid injections are ingested and create a
overweight population.

Farmers get paid by the pound. Livestock steroid injections are ingested and create a
overweight population.

I would think if farmers were paid fair for their products this would not happen. If you look at todays grain prices alone it is close to cost to raise equals price at sale. Something has to happen or more farmers will go out of business. They cant keep breaking even and stay in business.

If the cheerleaders, who should be active, are this chuny, how do you suppose their couchpotato class mates look ?

I would think if farmers were paid fair for their products this would not happen. If you look at todays grain prices alone it is close to cost to raise equals price at sale. Something has to happen or more farmers will go out of business. They cant keep breaking even and stay in business.

having been in the ag field for 5 decades I have to fully agree. basically what keeps the farmer in business is, to keep getting larger, that is, ground and equipment, ie more efficient. but they have really no control over input costs nor commodity prices. pretty much have to take what they get. yes there are tools, as futres, storage, etc, but really, they have very little control on making a fair profit. farmers are the eternal optimist. they figure next year will provide better crops, and prices. it is a way of life, and most would not trade it for anything. easy ?? NO.
as with most things, the farmer falls into the category of the " little guy". no mater how many acres he works. the people that make majority of the profit on ag is NOT the farmer. its every middleman and speculator.
for one thong, just look at the size of your typical whatever at the grocery store. smaller bag and then higher price! ha does that give any hints?
the overweight problem in this country probably traces back to : overeating, lack of real exercise, poor eating schedules, too many families that mom takes the easy way, and stops at the fast food joint on the way home.......etc
if a family wants to stay clear of these "antibiotics and steroids in our food" they will need to buy grass beef ( read tough), raise their own pouitry, maybe eat more veggies and less meat! ha IMO

having been in the ag field for 5 decades I have to fully agree. basically what keeps the farmer in business is, to keep getting larger, that is, ground and equipment, ie more efficient. but they have really no control over input costs nor commodity prices. pretty much have to take what they get. yes there are tools, as futres, storage, etc, but really, they have very little control on making a fair profit. farmers are the eternal optimist. they figure next year will provide better crops, and prices. it is a way of life, and most would not trade it for anything. easy ?? NO.
as with most things, the farmer falls into the category of the " little guy". no mater how many acres he works. the people that make majority of the profit on ag is NOT the farmer. its every middleman and speculator.
for one thong, just look at the size of your typical whatever at the grocery store. smaller bag and then higher price! ha does that give any hints?
the overweight problem in this country probably traces back to : overeating, lack of real exercise, poor eating schedules, too many families that mom takes the easy way, and stops at the fast food joint on the way home.......etc
if a family wants to stay clear of these "antibiotics and steroids in our food" they will need to buy grass beef ( read tough), raise their own pouitry, maybe eat more veggies and less meat! ha IMO

Very true I myself farm because I was raised farming and love what I do. It is hard to explain to some one that has never farmed.

It's politically incorrect to tell a fat girl she can't be a cheerleader. :roll:

In the same vain as "Not keeping score at soccer games", No winer/no loser, and "participation trophies".

...here's a secret, though, the kids keep score. ;)

Well, that's what you get when you manage to convince congress that pizza is a vegetable ...

It's politically incorrect to tell a fat girl she can't be a cheerleader. :roll:

In the same vain as "Not keeping score at soccer games", No winer/no loser, and "participation trophies".

...here's a secret, though, the kids keep score. ;)

Ah the "everybody gets a trophy" syndrome. :D

When I was growing up if you didn't try hard enough or practice enough you flat out lost and no one was going to pretend you were a winner anyway and praise you for losing.
You sucked it up, practiced more, got better and tried again, and again, and again.
This patting everyone on the head just for being there bullshit sucks, and now we have kids that think just because they have a job title that they are a success, even though they don't, or can't do the job.

Both my boys (the two youngest kids we have) are management in Sonic Drive In's in different towns and they are flat disgusted at the lack of work ethic among the young people that get hired.

Check out the thread on this site with pictures of the members. It's not just cheerleaders that are overweight...

country kids used ( and in some cases still today), were expected, required, to help on the farm. many times family help was a necessity, even from mom at times. could not always afford to hire even occasional help. the neighbors were usually busy on their place doing the same work.
city kids that played sports, would hire out to " buck bales" all summer. it paid $.25 per bale, picked up in the filed, and IN the barn, they considered it good exercise to get in SHAPE! and make a little spending $$. try that NOW!???? ha
get an award for "participating". back in the day, you would get laughed at for months!
daughter came to visit last thanksgiving. we heat with wood. I go to bring in some wood. I ask the grandson if he would like to help. he politely answers " no, i'm sorta busy with this computer game". I told him that's fine, I will bring in enough to keep me and his mother w arm, but the stove will run out in the middle of the night, HE might just get cold!???? he decided maybe get off his 12 year old *** and bring in some wood.
I figure work ethic is basically taught by their parents. and if the parents have little work ethic then the kids never will !???? lets face it, a lot of our country has become soft, lazy, irresponsible, the list could go on and on. thankfully, there are still some good kids and people left. IMHO

a big part of the lousy work ethic came from the industrialization of the western world
when people quit working side by side on the farms and moved to the city to work in factories it separated the families and it weakens the parental bond

no longer working side by side with their wives and oldest children if became a lot harder for fathers to instill proper work ethic in their sons and daughters

and with dad (and mom) working out of the house, they might work real hard, but junior will never see it...or catch it
all he sees is how tired he is when he gets home

It will get to the point to where ugly gals will be in beauty pageants......and actually win.

Looks is the least of the problems associated with this. Diabetes type II, high blood pressure and fatty liver was unheard of in American teenagers thirty years ago. And still is in other parts of the world. The costs associated with this will seriously hurt your economy ahead.

You need to get your sh*t together and stop feeding your kids sugary cereal, soda and potato chips.

I think the original posts observation is accurate.
There are a number of things going on.
For one cheer leading isn't as super cool as it was in past generations. Some schools now have cheer leaders and a "dance" team; with the dt for the cool girls.
As a country we are getting fat! The problem isn't starving people it's becoming obesity. It now takes effort to stay slender.

country kids used ( and in some cases still today), were expected, required, to help on the farm. many times family help was a necessity, even from mom at times. could not always afford to hire even occasional help. the neighbors were usually busy on their place doing the same work.
city kids that played sports, would hire out to " buck bales" all summer. it paid $.25 per bale, picked up in the filed, and IN the barn, they considered it good exercise to get in SHAPE! and make a little spending $$. try that NOW!???? ha
get an award for "participating". back in the day, you would get laughed at for months!
daughter came to visit last thanksgiving. we heat with wood. I go to bring in some wood. I ask the grandson if he would like to help. he politely answers " no, i'm sorta busy with this computer game". I told him that's fine, I will bring in enough to keep me and his mother w arm, but the stove will run out in the middle of the night, HE might just get cold!???? he decided maybe get off his 12 year old *** and bring in some wood.
I figure work ethic is basically taught by their parents. and if the parents have little work ethic then the kids never will !???? lets face it, a lot of our country has become soft, lazy, irresponsible, the list could go on and on. thankfully, there are still some good kids and people left. IMHO

You mean more like .05 cents a bale, and sometimes 3 cents and that was 3-5 cents stacked in the hay barn and not just picked up out of the field.
I used to do this in the summer, for extra cash after my Dad and I we were done getting the winter firewood supply. (about 12 split cords)
I was a happy boy when Dad built a wood splitter, because it took me weeks to split that much wood working on it every day after school with a splitting maul and wedges.

I was even happier when he bought me my first chain saw at 13, because before that it was my job to clear the limbs with a double headed axe while he cut rounds.
Try giving a 13 year old a chainsaw for his birthday these days. :D

Put up a lot of hay, when I was younger. Best I ever got, was .17 a bale, for the crew. Three of us doing the work, got .05 each, and the driver got .02. And yes, that was stacked in the barn.

You mean more like .05 cents a bale, and sometimes 3 cents and that was 3-5 cents stacked in the hay barn and not just picked up out of the field.
I used to do this in the summer, for extra cash after my Dad and I we were done getting the winter firewood supply. (about 12 split cords)
I was a happy boy when Dad built a wood splitter, because it took me weeks to split that much wood working on it every day after school with a splitting maul and wedges.

I was even happier when he bought me my first chain saw at 13, because before that it was my job to clear the limbs with a double headed axe while he cut rounds.
Try giving a 13 year old a chainsaw for his birthday these days. :D

Texas Chainsaw Massacre!!!

Oh yeah, and picking green beans in the summer for school clothes, strawberries too. Grew up in the small town of Creswell Oregon, glad I did.

I think this is gonna be a rant...Sorry. While there are many good points related to the farming and the way families worked side by side, the new world doesn't have as many farms. That being said, I worked outside the house. When I came home I built my deck, changed my windows, did my own yard work,shoveled the driveway....etc etc etc... My kids as part of the family were required to help. As they got older some of those tasks became theirs. They have chores which get done when they're needed done, not when they feel like it. My children were not coddled, they were encouraged to get jobs early. They were expected to keep up with their school work and helping at home. I think too many people shelter their children "oh let them be kids", "we have to understand them and respect their feelings","school work and peer pressure is hard enough on kids"...blah blah blah. They need to be taught, shown, told what is needed to prepare them for the real world....JMO

-
Back