chevy in a mopar

-

65mopar273

Reaction score
Hello i am new to the mopar sene but not to cars in general this is my first mopar build so please help me out.i have a 65- plymouth valiant signet 2-dr no post with a 273 engine and i think a 904 transmission the body is straight with a few rust spots not bad at all believe me i have had worse, now because its easer to get i would like to run a small block chevy drivetrain does anyone know of a motor kit and headers for this change over i already have a 350 an400 transmission or i might use a 4-spd if i could find a clutch pedal setup for my 65- valiant, the shifter cable for the 904-trans is costly if you can find one also what other front end would fit on my valiant (hoods fender frnt bumper grill ect ect) i have read of darts of diffrent years interchangeing what about my 65 valiant, i am stripping the car down now so i need some good sound advice......thanks mike=P~

Hello i am new to the mopar sene but not to cars in general this is my first mopar build so please help me out.i have a 65- plymouth valiant signet 2-dr no post with a 273 engine and i think a 904 transmission the body is straight with a few rust spots not bad at all believe me i have had worse, now because its easer to get i would like to run a small block chevy drivetrain does anyone know of a motor kit and headers for this change over i already have a 350 an400 transmission or i might use a 4-spd if i could find a clutch pedal setup for my 65- valiant, the shifter cable for the 904-trans is costly if you can find one also what other front end would fit on my valiant (hoods fender frnt bumper grill ect ect) i have read of darts of diffrent years interchangeing what about my 65 valiant, i am stripping the car down now so i need some good sound advice......thanks mike=P~
I think J C Whitney has everything you need to complete the conversion.

The front end parts will all interchange between 64-65. The fenders and grill has different look/style for each year. The cost to put together a Chevy motor would be cheaper to start with but by the time you get it in the car with custom headers and all the other swap parts you would be money and time ahead to stay mopar.

This sort of thing should get you banned from the forum. No self respecting Mopar owner would even consider such heresy. Please take this to a Chevy forum.

This sort of thing should get you banned from the forum. No self respecting Mopar owner would even consider such heresy. Please take this to a Chevy forum.

Now you done it. The birthday boy's got his panties in a not. tsk. tsk. tsk. Oh ya. Chevy in a Mopar... tsk. tsk. tsk. I guess you wanna live life in the slow lane.

Wylde1.

no way ! never try to do something like this ! best way... take the Valiant and give it to a mopar-dedicated guy... take the money an buy a chevelle or something other GM-related ...

there is only one way motor-replacement could be done on mopars

replace a slant 6 with a 273/318/340/360 or a hemi
replace a 273 with a 318/340/360 or a hemi
replace a 318 with a 340/360 or a hemi
replace a 340/360 with a hemi

Stop.... Someone Tell This Boy How It Is To Be Done... No Cross Breeds Only A-body's With Mopar Engines

Oh no! The last time this came up it was a 7 or 8 page thread! Please, please... lock this thread now.

Grant

That's it!
I'm buying a '70 SS 454 Chevelle and putting in a slant six, and parading it all over the Chevy sites and saying i had this engine laying around and the 454 was too hard on gas! :cheers:

That's it!
I'm buying a '70 SS 454 Chevelle and putting in a slant six, and parading it all over the Chevy sites and saying i had this engine laying around and the 454 was too hard on gas! :cheers:

At least make it a 4 speed!

WO WO WO did not mean to upset anyone i was just asking now i no thats a big NO NO ,so what can i do with my 273 any performance upgreads, is it possiable to change the carb, intake,cam, headers and get some extra power out of it or should i find me a 360 and be done with it?, the 273 only has 58,000miles and all orig ....thanks (mopar) mike

WO WO WO did not mean to upset anyone i was just asking now i no thats a big NO NO ,so what can i do with my 273 any performance upgreads, is it possiable to change the carb, intake,cam, headers and get some extra power out of it or should i find me a 360 and be done with it?, the 273 only has 58,000miles and all orig ....thanks (mopar) mike
Welcome to FABO, 65mopar273
I guess we're off to a great start! :cheers:

273's are nice little motors, theres plenty of performance parts available to make them as potent as you want. good starting point because they have steel crank.
as for that other idea... big dog says GRRRRRRRRRRRR !

Now we're talking some sense! Yes, that 273 can be made to be a fun little engine. It can rap like there's no tomorrow. If you're looking for more serious power the 360 or even a stroker motor will give very satisfying results. It's all what you want your car to be. There are several threads about 273 mods, 360 builds, and stroker setups. Do a search. You'll find many willing to help and provide advice on the Mopar engine but not much interest will be shown toward a GM product. After all the engine/drivetrain is waht makes 'em so cool!

not another one, please no, not again...the other thread was a joke...keep the 273 for now, drive it enjoy it, and build a nice 360 on the side, and when its complete, install it...360's are easy to come by...

Do the 360 with early exh manifolds, and mild for the rest cam, 600 carb, x pipe & keep the compression around 9'ish.

With all that chevy talk I wouldn't want ya to hurt yourself now.

Now you done it. The birthday boy's got his panties in a not. tsk. tsk. tsk. Oh ya. Chevy in a Mopar... tsk. tsk. tsk. I guess you wanna live life in the slow lane.

Wylde1.

Sorry, not even a wedgie. Woulda said something nasty if they were in a wad. Glad to see that 65mopar273 has had an outbreak of sanity though. The 273 will do all you need in an early A with just the 3 Cs. Cam (at least 290 adv. duration), compression (12.5 to 1), carburetor (750 CFM), and a good single plane intake with headers and 2 1/2" dual exhaust will get your little Valiant hustling. You'll need lots of rear gear, 4.11 minimum, 4.86 is better, because you will wind up with a peaky little beast. But it's worth it when they find out you just blew their doors off with only 273 cubes. I've found that you really don't need more than a 318 to outrun 350 Chebbies.

Oh Ya.......sell that 350/400 combo and put the proceeds into a good rebuild, shift kit and cable for your 904. You won't be able to wipe the smile off your face when you push the next button on the dash with your foot on the floor!

-
Back