Chinese bad-dery clamp

-

64longroof

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
You can tell this is a pretty new clamp. I wasn't even trying to take it off. I just moved the cable. I know you can't bend lead too much, but this must be contaminated lead....or poor casting conditions...metallurgists chime in. "I like Chinese........." you may know the song.
006 (4).jpg

Yeah that's pretty funny. Not that it had anything to do with the break, but you used the wrong size terminal for that post. There is a positive size (large) and a negative size (small). See how the terminal is touching at the bolt holes? You can't tighten it any further. They are not supposed to touch, because then the terminal is stretched and no good. It will not tighten up anymore. When you replace it, get the smaller size and it will work better.

Yeah that's pretty funny. Not that it had anything to do with the break, but you used the wrong size terminal for that post. There is a positive size (large) and a negative size (small). See how the terminal is touching at the bolt holes? You can't tighten it any further. They are not supposed to touch, because then the terminal is stretched and no good. It will not tighten up anymore. When you replace it, get the smaller size and it will work better.

A new cable with the terminal on it is what he needs.:D
They call that kind (temporary) for a reason.

I've been playing with cars for 30 years and never knew there was a difference between pos. and neg. clamps.
I know the battery posts are different sized. Just assumed the ones that were too big, as above, were …….I dunno. I just used what I had handy, and half the time I found the correct one. Do auto part stores sell Positive and Negative clamps?
My dart has the original cable integral with the terminal.

Or you can spend approx 150 on a oe style replacement.

Pure lead will flex quite a bit before breaking. That is probably made out of cheap alloy and mostly tin which makes it hard and brittle. I hate those bolt on cable ends, I use crimp on ones. I have special dies that you use with a porta-power to crimp them.

I've been playing with cars for 30 years and never knew there was a difference between pos. and neg. clamps.
I know the battery posts are different sized. Just assumed the ones that were too big, as above, were …….I dunno. I just used what I had handy, and half the time I found the correct one. Do auto part stores sell Positive and Negative clamps?
My dart has the original cable integral with the terminal.

I understand. Lots of people don't know and a LOT of the terminal ends you find are the same size, even though the posts are different. You have to look for the smaller size.

Keep in mind too, as trailbeast pointed out, those clamp on terminal ends are made to be only temporary. The whole cable really should be replaced.

shopping.jpeg
These crimp on. Work a few times better than a lead metal terminal. Not OEM appearnce, except on new cars. Available at most autoparts stores.

Actually, Rusty, some of the cheapese clamps are NOT different sizes. I've use'd 'em, I'm ashamed to say.

-
Back