Chinese brake drum issue???? HELP!

-

birdrockbomb

Reaction score
Gents,
I've now ordered drums from Autozone, O'Reilly and NAPA, all were incorrect. The drums that came in had a lip of sorts stamped around the circumfrence of the axle register that is raised maybe an 8th of an inch. This raised lip will not allow my rims to seat against the face of the drum. Not even close. All old drums that I've seen in the past did not have this lip. All were manufactured in China, probably by the same manufacturer and just labeled differently on the box. 10x2" 4&1/2" bolt circle.

Anyone know where I can order the correct drums from? Preferrably finned.

raybestos 2947R.jpg

they did make them origionally like that(with the lip), mabe not all of them but a few different years for sure. my duster has the finned drums, beware wheels will not fit on the finned drums either unless you use a wheel spacer and take a grinder to the fins(wheel spacer wont even be enough)

Short article in Mopar Action earlier this year detailed the problem: said avoid these drums at all cost, but did not offer a solution on where to get the correct drum. I walked through the local pick-a-part today and none of the drums I saw had the lip.

By chance....are those ford rims you're wanting to run......

Many of the Ford rims will fit Mopar bolt pattern, but the center hole is smaller......

Just a guess and trying to help?

What year and make is your car. Also front or rear drums?

Which car are you ordering drums for? Since it is a LBP drum you are looking for I hope you have discs on the front. There are 3 different drums listed. One for 9" drums front and rear, another for 10" drums front and rear and the third for 10" drums in the rear with front disc brakes. The drum you posted is for a car with 4 wheel 10" drums. The drum for a front disc brake car doesn't have the lip in the center. Try rockauto.com or the store of your choice using a '73 Dart Sport for reference. FWIW all the 10" LBP (4 1/2") brakes I've ever seen were 10X2 1/2". Hope this helps.

car is a '64 barracuda but the rear is an 8.75, brakes are off of a '72 Satellite. Parts search i did was for a disc-drum Satellite.

there was another post just like this a while ago.. i havn't been able to find it though

I just replaced the rotors on my Grand Am...they were 8 months old. I had problems with them from the beginning and it finally got so bad I had to do something. The inside face on both had a track of "bubbles" that looked like it had been a casting mistake. They would heat up and pulse. MADE IN CHINA! I spent yesterday re-building them and now it seems ok. The local shop tells me it's a crap shoot, either you get a good set or not. Now for the best part, replacement exhaust manifolds out of China are even worse. Vic, the guy at the shop, says it's more common then the rotors. I don't know where to get good rotors and drums anymore. Wasn't it a great idea to off shore all our industry??

6pak2godemon, Same drum. You can see the lip near the axle register hole.

NAPA guy told me that Raybestos switched to the Chinese vendor a couple of years ago.

I'm stumped....sorry :dontknow:

Most drums that I've seen have that "bit" of a center mounting lip. And yes, the Chinese brake crap has taken over the industry, but I'm still wondering...:-k if it's a wheel problem.

What is the center hole diameter of a Diplomat wheel and is it the same as an earlier Mopar wheel...? Anyone know.....?

That'll work......Great thought 71pro :cheers:

Too bad we can't buy parts that don't need to be modified anymore.

Chinese Car Parts.....:angry5: :sad6: :?: :-x :x =;

X 2.............Can't tell you how many "new" rotors and drums we've returned after setting them up on the brake lathe...........junk :bs:

They might be 11X2 rear brakes
Get these drums I had the same problem with my with my 11X2 rear brakes I bought off of Ebay...I had to try about 10 different sets and fond these in old parts book that fit perfect.

74 Plymouth Grand Fury rear brake drums 11x2
Raybestos part #2955
HKeller

I have 4 1/2" pattern 11" finned drums...from a cop dip.

When I buy rotors & drums I have them turned that **** is so far out!

I always check new rotors and drums on a lathe. Most of them need at least a little clean up, some have been so bad, we've sent them back to the store!

I haven't heard about avoiding Chinese brake parts at all cost though. I would think that these large companies would be opening themselves up for huge lawsuits if they were selling inferior products that are unsafe. Are you saying to avoid them because they are cheap and warp easily (that's a given) or because they are unsafe?

I am getting ready to buy all new brake components soon when I do a LBP conversion on my dart. I had planned on buying everything from the local Oreilly store.

Reply from Mopar Action:

"That raised ring is definitely wrong. The two concentric rings on the inside of all '69 and up steelies should rest flat against the drum, clamping it to the axle flange, with zero-nut torque."

also, "Aftermarket brake drums with a raised center lip can't work with any stock 1969-up wheel. The lip will prevent the wheel from seating correctly on the drum."

But no suggestion on part number or manufacturer of a correct drum.

***Also, I misquoted the reply from the magazine earlier, no mention of "avoid the Chinese stuff at all costs". My apologies to Mopar Action. ***

See if a Raybestos part number 1952 will work for you. Those are the ones I have to go on my Valiant and there is no ridge.

Never said they were cheap. Now you have a part number to cross, maybe you can find it for less.

-
Back