Choice of carb?

-

MMissile

Reaction score
My brother has a 69 `cuda , with a mildly built 340/4-speed in it. He's not a racer by any stretch, and it needs a new carb. Switching from a corroded Holley, to a Edelbrock. He doesn't want a "stinky" car. I'm wondering if he should get a 650 AVS-2, or a 750 Performer. I know what I'd do...but he's nothing like me. He'll just mildly cruise it around. Any experience or rational suggestions? It'll be a manual choke setup.

I just bolted an AVS2 650 onto my 340. Its only run on the test stand but so far so good. You can buy calibration kits for them for about $70 USD. I went to bigger rods right away as it was rich which is typical.

650 avs, plug and play.
Rebuilt thermoquad if you want to go down the rabbit hole.

I totally suggest a Edelbrock carb for a jet it, set it, faaaageddabout carb.

My 10.5-1, 340 has C.N.C. Promaxx heads, RPM intake, 1-5/8 headers, Comp XE285HL narrowed LSA to a 108. I use the 800 AVS up top, no issues, no stinky exhaust, drives like it should, nice and easy.

I know I know I know… 800 sounds massive, I know, I know….
It just flat out works fine for me. Just tune the dang thing and it’ll be fine.

I was never a huge fan of the AFB because of the weighted air door that can slam open and cause a momentary flat bog spot.
Your better off rolling into the secondary side on a AFB than slamming the pedal.

You know Mike, Dave down @ Woodruff will really do your brother right on making that old Holley look like new and he'll get you the right set up for his car. Tell him Frank from Ed's Welding sent you, you will not be disappointed at all ! Can't wait to see more pics of Krusty, take care

I have to agree on the Eddie recommendation.
Perfect for the described driving style.

For a driver I'm a big fan of the Avs2 carbs, have a single 800, and dual 650's. Neither setup has a choke.
20210910_211719_optimized.jpg

20230901_163000.jpg

Last edited:
My brother got ahold of a guy locally, who had a 650 AVS2 for sale. He had a pr. on his max-wedge for a month...then found correct carbs. Got it for 270, in the box. Looks brand new.

Thanks guys. Merry Christmas!!

-
Back