Choice of wheels

-

circlepilot

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just getting too old, too judgmental or lost in the world of "old school." I watch all of the shows, from Phantom Works to Iron Resurrection. These outfits build some awesome stuff...THEN! They install wheels, that in my opinion, destroys the restoration altogether. I call them "hip hop wheels." These wheels do have their place, like on low-riders and "full customized builds," but not on a 56 Chevy, 57 Ford, Corvette, Road Runner or Charger. As stated, just my opinion.
Norm

Those places are not familiar with the true definition of the word 'restored'.

They share that misuse of the word with a lot of sellers.

Your assessment is correct
They put wagon wheels on everything and it never looks decent...let alone good

I have never seen one going down the road ,always trailered and barely ran. Where i live you would bend one going down the block.

Never saw the shows. Sounds like I'm not missing much. LOL

Yup, you're getting too old and too judgmental. Hey, you asked.

You want to see somebody put cute little 14" rallyes with tiny little brakes on a $100k+, 600+ hp TV show build, you can pony up the cash yourself. Those guys will do whatever the customer pays for. A lot of wheel choice is dictated by brake size now, you want to run big power you need to run big brakes if you actually drive it. That means big wheels, because you can't run 13" rotors with 14" rims.

As for the wheels, pretty much all new cars come with 18" or bigger wheels. They hold up just fine, even in Wisconsin. And, hate to break it to you, but Wisconsin doesn't have the worst roads in the country. By most metrics the roads I daily drive with my 18's are worse. https://www.businessinsider.com/whi...ads-in-the-united-states-2019-9#2-oklahoma-11

The rest of it is just style. If you modernize a bit, you might find these cars can be driven all the time and perform on similar levels as new cars. Of course, that requires tossing some of the original style, because the original style doesn't cut it in terms of performance.
img_4756-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg-jpg.jpg

72bluNblu although I fully understand and agree with circlepilot- you make a valid point about brakes, car values and larger rims to meet the braking needs. Also 14-15 tires are less and less available new. Just not a call when even a small economy car sold new today has 18-20” tires.

To each his/her own I guess.

Personally when I see any car with large diamater wheels and super low profile tires (sorry if this is a members car, I just pulled it from Google)
bcbbf8326e8eadc7887996447b53e35d.jpg

all I can see is minimouse's shoes

Minnie-Mouse-2.jpg

I just think it’s funny. The reason all those shows are putting those wheels on their builds is because that’s the current style, and because someone is paying them hundreds of thousands of dollars to do it. You want to do something different, bring the cash. Otherwise you’re just whining. And yeah, the extreme cases of large diameter wheels can certainly detract from performance. But in most cases they’re there to improve performance compared to what these cars were originally equipped with. 14” bias plies can’t deal with modern horsepower.

When these cars were new it was no easy feat to put 600, 700, 800+ or more horsepower in one of these cars. And if you did, you didn’t have a car that you could reasonably drive on the street. Now putting 700 hp in one of these cars and driving it on the street is perfectly feasible if you make upgrades to the suspension, brakes and yes, the damn wheels. Because they don’t make anything in a 14” wheel that will deal with that kind of power on the street. But what does all that mean? I’ll tell you. It means a lower stance. It means bigger brakes. And it means larger diameter rims with actual performance tires. Sure, some of it is the modern style. But a lot of it is improving performance so these old girls can handle the power and speed modern tech can give them. The form follows the function.

Personally when I see any car with large diamater wheels and super low profile tires (sorry if this is a members car, I just pulled it from Google)
View attachment 1715446476

all I can see is minimouse's shoes

View attachment 1715446475

That’s a beautiful car! I’m sorry, if you don’t agree there’s something wrong with you. I think some of you guys are better suited for being museum curators than you are car guys. Sure, if it was my car I might set it up a little different. But I bet it’s way more fun to drive than some stock looking museum piece.

All I see when I see some museum piece rolling around on skinny little tires, 14” wheels and stock brakes is a car that rots in a garage 99% of the time and isn’t safe on a modern freeway. Boring.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm just getting too old, too judgmental or lost in the world of "old school." I watch all of the shows, from Phantom Works to Iron Resurrection. These outfits build some awesome stuff...THEN! They install wheels, that in my opinion, destroys the restoration altogether. I call them "hip hop wheels." These wheels do have their place, like on low-riders and "full customized builds," but not on a 56 Chevy, 57 Ford, Corvette, Road Runner or Charger. As stated, just my opinion.
Norm

I agree with you 100%. And don't forget the dorky 18" Foose wheels. No thanks !!!!

You want to see somebody put cute little 14" rallyes with tiny little brakes on a $100k+, 600+ hp TV show build, you can pony up the cash yourself. Those guys will do whatever the customer pays for. A lot of wheel choice is dictated by brake size now, you want to run big power you need to run big brakes if you actually drive it. That means big wheels, because you can't run 13" rotors with 14" rims.

As for the wheels, pretty much all new cars come with 18" or bigger wheels. They hold up just fine, even in Wisconsin. And, hate to break it to you, but Wisconsin doesn't have the worst roads in the country. By most metrics the roads I daily drive with my 18's are worse. Rhode Island has the United States' worst roads — here's how other states rank

The rest of it is just style. If you modernize a bit, you might find these cars can be driven all the time and perform on similar levels as new cars. Of course, that requires tossing some of the original style, because the original style doesn't cut it in terms of performance.
View attachment 1715446484

got to tell you those tires with shorter side walls hold corners better than big tires will. the brake thing is true also. personally I do not like the look or the ride comfort with big wheels, but you have valid points here.

Wisconsin actually has great roads considering the climate and all the salt. you want nasty roads? try taking a trip to Peoria, IL on the back roads down there. damn I mean Damn.

For me its all about doing your research, you have to take several factors into your decision of what wheels are right for your build. For me there has to be a good ratio of wheel size to tire sidewall size, width, and of course the big elephant in the room is backspacing if any of these factors are off it wont look right. I also think you need to pick a wheel that gives a nod to the history/era how these cars looked when new or what they call day two cars. We as Mopar people are kinda eclectic and we are kinda particular about how people build a Mopar or how mopars should look, I think that comes from the us against the world mentality being the smallest of the "big three" and also the cost of building these cars you could build a Chevrolet or Ford for half of what it takes to build a Mopar. When these car show shops get to building a car they go for what is quick and readily available off the shelf parts and with that comes these sometimes gaudy wheel and tire combinations. To sum all if this up its there car and there money.

As for the wheels, pretty much all new cars come with 18" or bigger wheels. They hold up just fine, even in Wisconsin. And, hate to break it to you, but Wisconsin doesn't have the worst roads in the country. By most metrics the roads I daily drive with my 18's are worse. https://www.businessinsider.com/whi...ads-in-the-united-states-2019-9#2-oklahoma-11

View attachment 1715446484

Yeah, but the thinner the sidewalls , the worse the ride as far as potholes and bumps are concerned.

Personally I have to see a reasonable amount of sidewall. The gold Duster has a great look, the orange Dart I think the rims are too big. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..........and the car owner, who pays.

don't like big wheels then don't buy them. personally i like the look of 17-8" wheels on our old cars. depending on the build even bigger looks good but they have to go with the build.. nothing is worse looking then a tiny 14" rim/tire on these cars. they just look out of place being so small. even a 15" on a b body is too tine looking.

i'm at the point that i can't stand rally wheels.. too tiny and ugly in my opinion. too balloonish of sidewalls... looking at the older pics of my car i can't believe i ever even put the damn things on the car to begin with. car looks a thousand times better with the 17" wheels. if i knew better at the time i'd have gone with 18" wheels and tires..

dart carlisle fixed.jpg

P1010143.JPG

Enjoyed all of the responses, but let me add that I wasn't pointing a finger at tall (big) wheels, but more-so at the wheel design itself. I'm all for bigger wider "tires" (going to use them on my build) but I'm not going to put them on, what "diymirage" rightly so, called "wagon wheels." Like someone else said..."to each his own!"
Norm

got to tell you those tires with shorter side walls hold corners better than big tires will. the brake thing is true also. personally I do not like the look or the ride comfort with big wheels, but you have valid points here.

Wisconsin actually has great roads considering the climate and all the salt. you want nasty roads? try taking a trip to Peoria, IL on the back roads down there. damn I mean Damn.

Yeah, but the thinner the sidewalls , the worse the ride as far as potholes and bumps are concerned.

Ride quality is only worse with big wheels if you haven't bothered to upgrade the rest your suspension. Run a decent set of shocks and the shorter sidewalls aren't a problem. That way you don't have a big old set of floppy sidewalls doing the work your shocks should be doing.

Wheels and tires are part of the entire suspension system. Upgrade everything and match it all to work together and there's no problem. Slap some 'dubs on an otherwise stock car and you're going to have some issues.

don't like big wheels then don't buy them. personally i like the look of 17-8" wheels on our old cars. depending on the build even bigger looks good but they have to go with the build.. nothing is worse looking then a tiny 14" rim/tire on these cars. they just look out of place being so small. even a 15" on a b body is too tine looking.

i'm at the point that i can't stand rally wheels.. too tiny and ugly in my opinion. too balloonish of sidewalls... looking at the older pics of my car i can't believe i ever even put the damn things on the car to begin with. car looks a thousand times better with the 17" wheels. if i knew better at the time i'd have gone with 18" wheels and tires..

View attachment 1715446551

View attachment 1715446555

Agree with you 100%!!!

14's just look goofy. And rallye's are the ugliest wheel you can put on these cars. I don't understand why anyone likes those things, in any size.

Last edited:
18" or even 19" wheels with a (typical) 26" tire are going to "ride" just fine. That's what comes on most mid/full size cars in 2020. They'll work great on a '60s car too. The problems start with 20" and bigger wheels. There is almost no sidewall, and going to a larger diameter tire will not work (i.e. fit) in most cases. Plus, they start to look very cartoonish at that point. And that's really where the "looks" come into play. But, everyone has their own opinion.

I like em all. You've gotta keep in mind that the guys running 14's and 15's are usually not building the same type of car as they guys running 18's.

How about the guys who put 15's on the back and 18's on the front of their street/strip cars?

18" or even 19" wheels with a (typical) 26" tire are going to "ride" just fine. That's what comes on most mid/full size cars in 2020. They'll work great on a '60s car too. The problems start with 20" and bigger wheels. There is almost no sidewall, and going to a larger diameter tire will not work (i.e. fit) in most cases. Plus, they start to look very cartoonish at that point. And that's really where the "looks" come into play. But, everyone has their own opinion.

Or the how about "I'll take anything old school looking that fits with the new K-member coil-over conversion and doesn't look like it came off a Civic"
I used plywood mockup wheels to determine the overall size on what would fit.
the fronts are 16 x 6 on 24 inch diameter tires. there is no motor in car, in the pic so it will be "tucked in" once there is some weight.
Years ago I had a 71 Torino set up for road racing, and when it comes to performance in that class... you have enough tire to stop, go or turn... but not two at the same time.
this car will have all the tire I can squeeze into it.
IMG_E5291.JPG

Or the how about "I'll take anything old school looking that fits with the new K-member coil-over conversion and doesn't look like it came off a Civic"
I used plywood mockup wheels to determine the overall size on what would fit.
the fronts are 16 x 6 on 24 inch diameter tires. there is no motor in car, in the pic so it will be "tucked in" once there is some weight.
Years ago I had a 71 Torino set up for road racing, and when it comes to performance in that class... you have enough tire to stop, go or turn... but not two at the same time.
this car will have all the tire I can squeeze into it.
View attachment 1715446610
16" looks perfect (to me) on that car.

I like tires that hook. rims that are round, run true and light weight.

My '16 Charger came with 20x9 wheels, when it's time for new tires, I will be going with 18x10.5 wheels for the rear. Dunno if I'm gonna keep the 20's in the front. Probably will.

-
Back