Choices for a shorty small block headers for 73’ A-body.

-

migsBIG

Reaction score
So I’m still getting parts for my Fugly Duckling 73’ Duster build and decided on some cheaply shorty headers for easier install and easier side dump for some cut out. Looks for something that clears power steering box and does not require me being a contortionist to change apart plugs. Small block Mopar with power brakes. Any suggestions or know of any decent stuff others have used?

Last edited:

smokin' deal, imo

When you get done playing with shorty headers, you'll finally upgrade to TTI, Hedman or Hooker full headers.
And then sell your shortys on here.
You're wasting your time with shorty headers. One of the stupidest inventions for exhaust technology.

The whole header thing is really easy and has been covered ad nauseam.

The cheaper the header, the worse it fits. That’s it. Doug’s and TTI’s are expensive, but fit the best. Some of the old Hooker and Hedman’s fit okay-ish if you don’t mind slip tubes or header tubes getting smashed under the steering, and it gets worse from there.

Search “shorty header” and you’ll get dozens of threads that all reach the same conclusion, the cheap price is quickly made up by the fact that they don’t fit, require some crazy head tubes, and only are marginally better than a manifold anyway.

And even with some kind of side exit, the hardest part is the flange at the center link, so even some side dump open header has to clear that.

Thank you for taking the time to read and providing an honest reply. I was looking for headers that were easy to do maintenance on the drivetrain without having the pipes in the way. TTI is not far from my location and knew they were a 3rd choice for me as after cheaply headers and the ones Harold used to make. I mainly wanted cheap because I’m planning to dump the exhaust under the front fenders with cut-outs, so they may need to be
Modified anyway. Thank you everyone for responding quickly to this post. Though there other posts similar to this one, my needs differ slightly from those ones. If anyone finds something that would still work, even if it’s not shorties, I would still like to know.

if you're gonna dump at the fender, did you consider full on fenderwell style or is tire size a limiting factor?

-
Back