Choke question

-

Viper21700

Reaction score
Ok guys, thought my car had an electric choke on it.. pulled the air filter today to figure out why the choke didn't seem to work, and apparently the holley 4 barrel has a manual choke... but no choke cable hooked up. Anybody have any advice on this? replace with electric, or go pick up a cable kit and run it into the cab?
Pro's and cons of both?

Manual cheaper, you control, and sometimes will forget.

Electric cost more, set and forget.

Ok, any specific guidelines for running with a manual choke? besides remembering to use it?

Will you be eliminating the choke pull-off? If so then you'll have to control the choke plate with the cable. Before going to full choke you'll need to open the throttle so it will rest on the fast idle cam when going to full choke. Adjust choke as it starts. You'll need to adjust your "touch" with the positioning after start. If you flood and you floor the pedal with full choke your liable to damage the choke un-loader components.

just pulled the numbers off the carb- Holley 1850-11 0281
Anyone know the stats on this carb? How can you tell the year it was made?

You shouldnt even need a choke with that in south carolina, Im in pa use our holleys up here without chokes, just pump about three times to start.

Im in Virginia beach, the old girl isn't liking to stay idling in this 20 degree weather weve been having... once she warms up shes happy, but when shes cold, shes a pain to keep idling

That and Im OCD about having things on the car, if its already installed, its going to be usable lol.

My experience with (back in the 70's) Holley manual chokes was very bad. In my opinion, they are generally poorly designed and an "afterthought". Having said that, I've MADE manual chokes that worked well on a couple of Quadrajets. This was a deal using a spring in the cable so that the choke could pull off a bit on a light spring, just like it did with automatic

The Holley chokes I've seen---all on double pumpers--did not do that. I usually ended up pulling the butterfly clear out and just using it for a fast idle cam until warm.

Ok, any specific guidelines for running with a manual choke? besides remembering to use it?

When the engine is cold, pull the choke knob out. When the engine warms up, push the choke knob in.

-
Back