Choosing a Clear for paint?

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I wanted to get the PPG DCU2021 and I mean I can order it and I found a place in CA that sells it, but Im not sure if my painter will use it. So Im wondering if you guys can find me a clear as good and near the same price range. Please and Thank You

what does your painter use normally ? what is he using for a base coat ?

what does your painter use normally ? what is he using for a base coat ?

I havent had time to speak with him. Im using PPG Shopline. As a member used this paint and the 2021 and I really liked how it came out.

So he'll use your PPG base but not the clear ? I would ask him what he wants to use. Theres plenty of good paints and clears out there. Let him use what hes comfortable with spraying.

Most painters will want to use what they are familiar and comfortable with. I think you should talk to him before you buy anything. You might buy something based on priced, and it might not be compatable with the base coat he is spraying.

We both answered at the same time Adam...sounds like sound advise to me.

What? What do you mean not compatible with my base? There is someone on here DusterDude72, who painted with this base and that clear, with the color I want and is why I want to do this. All I asked is for people in CA to offer some clears they have used in CA. That clear is 200 dollars a gallon, pretty sure im not going off price. I appreciate your help, but because I am asking for options does not mean I wont use what he wants, I just want to get a quote for some so I can save for the legal clears in CA.

Basecoat/clearcoat are not always compatible.With intermixing paint "systems" nowadays,you have no ability for compatabilty.Spend the coin,make your painter comfortable.I cannot stress this enough.

Use what's recommended in the 2 stage and you can't go wrong. I painted my Signet in 1990 with 2 stage Concept and still looks great today.. Here's a look a few months back
july031.jpg

Hopefully your painter is comfortable with the 2021, it's an excellent clear, we used it on the Dart.

I would agree with the opinion's that it's risky intermixing systems because if there should be an incompatibility or a failure of the finish who is going back up the products? Likely no one, and what a problem too fix. After all the work you have done this not the stage to take any risks. Just some friendly advice.

No one is saying that the PPG clear wont work with the PPG base. We are just saying talk with your painter and see what he wants to use. Different products spray differently and if hes not comfortable with it you could be wasting money.

Why does he have you buying the base/clear anyway ?

No one is saying that the PPG clear wont work with the PPG base. We are just saying talk with your painter and see what he wants to use. Different products spray differently and if hes not comfortable with it you could be wasting money.

Why does he have you buying the base/clear anyway ?

He doesnt...The deal was I buy...He sprays and does the body work.

Does the brand of primer matter? I mean I want a good quality primer, but should I stick with PPG? Because I heard the PPG Shopline primer is not that good of quality.

Ive never used the PPG primer, Ive used Trans star, Roberlo and Kustom Shop with out any issues.

i have used the cumberland clears.. they private label stuff for a bunch of jobbers
basically the keystone euro clear(high solids) i like the best.. as for primers i am pretty much ppg and the water based paints and clears.

-
Back