christmas traditions--please share

-

swifter

Reaction score
Thought I would lighten the load here after what people are dealing with in Connecticut. What is your greatest memory from Christmas past,Share anything that you still remember.Thanks Steve

Here is mine: Every Christmas eve we would get all dressed up and go to church at 11pm,The church was filled with fresh pine boughs and candles when we entered,It was mostly Christmas songs through out the service and the highlight that I still remember was at mid-night we all held a candle and they turned out the lights and we sang silent night and the pastor asked everyone to exit in silence,it had a strong impact on my life!!!!!--Please share yours guy's --Steve a.k.a. Swifter

I guess ours was pretty traditional. When the Grandparents were alive and well, "tradition" for us was to go (literally) up the hill to my Mom's side Grandparents, and my Aunt and her kids would also be there. They had 3 kids, my folks had 4 of us, so Gramma's little bitty house was CROWDED.

Then Christmas day we'd go out to my Dad's Grandparents where my OTHER Aunt and her 4 kids and spend the day out there. This Gramps had a huge old barn of a shop, and THIS was where the surplus gun turret was mounted

(like this one, no guns or power hooked up)

Crocker%20Wheeler%20A-8%200154x3x100.JPG

where we'd take turns shooting down hundreds of Jap planes.

At the time, "Gramps" also had a 40 Ford which he was saving "up on blocks" and we'd drive a few hundred miles in that thing.

And of course the usual getting wet in the snow, sleds, skis, snowball fights, one year was "bows and arrows," and sooner or later, getting yelled at by one of the grownups for SOME damn thing we did

It is not on Christmas bit since I have lived on my own I go up to Frankenmouth. Stop at Tony`s for breakfast, Go to Bronners and spend hours in there looking at the Christmas things and buy something for my village, then check out the shops in town and finish with dinner in Zender`s eating at the buffet in the basement. Then the ride back home.

Christmas Eve we kids got a small glass of Harvey's Bristol Cream to make us sleepy and my Dad would read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' with my little sisters cuddled next to him on the couch. Then we put out a snack for Santa and were sent to bed and told to go right to sleep. After my Mom and Dad put all the presents under the tree, my Dad would go up on the roof and stomp around, ring some bells, and say 'ho-ho-ho.' Christmas morning we had to wait til my Grandparents came from the next town and til after they had coffee cake, then my Dad would pass presents out to each of us one at a time. He always asked my sisters, 'you went right to sleep last night like you were supposed to, you didn't hear anything, did you?' and they always said 'NOoooo we didn't hear anything!' Gosh I'm tearing up remembering those good times.

Well on the Saturday before Christmas at 7:30pm we will start a fire in the fireplace, get into our pajamas, fix a large hot chocolate and put on the National Lapoons Christmas Vacation. Followed by the original Frosty and then Rudolph. I cannot wait until this coming Saturday.. Also this year I should be able to drive my new to me Pro Street Car.. I found out last night that my buddy has a pretty healthy motor for it and said I could have it and would come over this weekend to help me get it in..

Yea!!!

Attachments

• Columbus-20121125-00009 (Large).jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 201
For years It's been "Breakfast with Santa" at the firehouse, every Sunday before Xmas, followed by the Firehouse Xmas Party the following Tuesday night,For Members and invited guests from other local departments,...we eat and drink like Romans, play some poker, tell jokes and reminise about fellow members who have passed during the year,...always good times...

Xmas morning means presents,... with Baileys and coffee, sausage, bisquits and gravy with a side of,....you guessed it,...BACON....

Then to my parents house for second breakfast where Dad cooks home fries, pancakes, eggs and......CANADIAN BACON,...yum...

Then we make the rounds, hit all the relatives houses, do the present swap, usually by 7 pm were done and snug in our beds...

Growing up it was pick the worst possible day, or so it seemed, to go and pick out a tree. We would put it up on Christmas Eve. Dinner was kielbasa and kraut. We would light a big red candle before opening one present and going to bed. Christmas morning we would stoke up the fire and stuff the biggest log we could fit in the fireplace...

I don't know about lightening the mood with this one, but here's a few traditions...

With my birthday being on the 7th it was my family's tradition to put the tree up on or close to my birthday. It was a tradition that Sarah and I kept going all these years.

On the tree, it's always been our tradition to have an angel topper. We were looking forward to having an ornament engraved with Katie's first Christmas on the tree, but since it didn't work out that way, instead, it's always been tradition that the upper most ornament on the tree is Katie's memorial ornament. This year, a new tradition will be started with Sarah's memorial ornament joining Katie's at the top.

On Christmas morning Sarah and I would get up and have breakfast. It's the only time we'd have a "formal" breakfast. (We'd usually just grab something like a bowl of cereal or oatmeal.) I'd brew coffee for me and Sarah would make her Puffy Cheesebake - something along the lines of a baked egg and cheese custard - with sausage or bacon, fruit salad on the side. We'd eat before we'd open our gifts.

I thought about making the Puffy Cheesebake this year, then thought against it. It's a tradition I'll restart, but I can't do it this year. I haven't the heart. This year - the first year without her - it would probably taste like sawdust anyway.

-
Back