65 valiant, wanted to rechrome the front and rear bumpers,
emailed 3 shops, for a quote, 1 in Las vegas, 1in Phoenix, and one in texas,
LV said 5 months, and $2000,
phx said 6 mos, and $1800
tx said 3-4 mos, and $1800

am I missing something? 3-6 mos?
$1800-2000 for 2 blade bumpers????

looks like a trip to Mexico is in order, ,
last time I did , it was 100 per bumper, and 5 days.

and the chrome still looks every bit as good as US chromed stuff,

That seems really high. About 2-3 years ago I got an estimate for $4-500 for re-chroming each of my bumpers, or about the same price for re-pops. I decided to wait until I was closer to needing them. If prices have gone up that much, I’m going to feel really bad because I need two of each.

Last 4 people by the border who went into Mexico were captured by cartel members - 2 murdered on the spot, other 2 held for ransom. This was like 3 weeks ago. Not sure this made the news.
Honestly - as much as cheap prices are awesome…. Is it really that cheap?
And I do appreciate nice chrome vs painted.

The other option is powder coating a chrome like color. It is a tad darker but shines like chrome if done properly.
Chrome wrap is another option.

You might check these guys out.....I have past personal experience and I was MORE than happy with the results!

Kansas Bumper & Body Parts Inc​

1801 S Mead St, Wichita, KS, 67211​

(316) 262-0500​

I second Tri-City Plating. They had mine done last year within a couple months (I think less than 5 weeks) and they look great. $750-$800 each at the time as I recall. Front was a Custom bumper I made and they even evened out where my grinding wasn't perfect. You can no longer see where I cut it. Super happy with them. They are a little dirty in these pictures

Grille installed.jpg

rear bumper installed2.jpg

Tri City Plating x2. Thats where my front bumper came from. My rear bumper got prices like yours. I was lucky to find a plating service nearer to home at half the price.

Tim

I got an email from one other chrome shop,
500-600 ea, and 2 weeks ,
I ask him when I can drop them off,

Great. Henderson is closer to me than Phoenix, and I travel out of Vegas fairly often in the winter. Thanks again.

I just had an AMC Javelin rear done in Tucson for $500 that needed extensive straightening. It did take four weeks from drop-off.

Tri-City Plating. I called them and they had a pair redone. I took mine up to them and gave them mine and came home with the ones they had. Its been 6 or 7 years now and they are still great.

I don’t think I’ve ever dis agreed with a slantsixdan post but this one I will.
I bought that “killer chrome” and it was crap. It was not at all like the advertisement showed. Every time you touched the stuff it turned grey where you touched it and scratched easy. I felt I was better off with rust oleum spray aluminum. Cheaper and same results. I am a stickler on following directions so I know it was not me so I called the company and they said they would send me out a new set up for free immediately… I’m still waiting.

We talking chrome bumpers or our border issues? That's a good way to get the thread deleted.
Let's get back to bumpers.

Several years before Covid, at several Sacramento Mopar In the Park events there was an L.A. company with a trailer full of chrome bumpers. I recall $250 per bumper for my 1965 Dart if I give them my old ones (a few dents doesn't matter, they can beat them out). They even had them on the trailer. I should have jumped on that, but was still a long ways from that point with my two A's. Hope they show up again, and weren't driven out of the state by environmental rules.

Several years before Covid, at several Sacramento Mopar In the Park events there was an L.A. company with a trailer full of chrome bumpers. I recall $250 per bumper for my 1965 Dart if I give them my old ones (a few dents doesn't matter, they can beat them out). They even had them on the trailer. I should have jumped on that, but was still a long ways from that point with my two A's. Hope they show up again, and weren't driven out of the state by environmental rules.
And just how many decade ago was THAT!!??? :poke:

And just how many decade ago was THAT!!??? :poke:
Perhaps 6 years ago, though time passes. Another Sac area guy surely saw them. I might still have their card so should haul my bumpers there on the next drive to L.A. if they don't show up again.

$500 - $600 sounds about right. Pacific Northwest Plating in Vancouver, Wa did mine for $1200 for front & rear. They mainly do heavy duty truck work but work in small custom stuff. They were doing a '37 Chevy grille at the time they did my bumpers.

-
Back