Chrome ECU equivalent???

-
I have been using the Chrome box with a blaster 2 coil for over ten years now. Never had a problem. Car still runs down in the 11:30s and 11:40s depending on the weather and thats with Schumacher headers.

r7.jpg

mason dixon 4.jpg

Drank the MSD koolaid before. Bought a complete system for my Duster to replace the chrome box setup. After a few track visits low and behold the car ran the same times. Promptly removed it and went back to the Chrysler stuff. I know plenty of people who run MSD, but it didn't work out for me.

Mopar chrome box here. Have alsi had good luck with Standard ignition chrome box. Not really as good as the mopar box but good to keep as back up.

I bought a Jegs blue module for a glovebox spare. Have never tried it, guess i should! LOL
Those are the same ones Rick Ehrenberg sells on ebay. Hi Rev 7500. I have one on Vixen and it runs great. I think too many people fall for the marketing of the MSD stuff. I also find it pretty funny that if you post you either don't like MSD or don't use it that now suddenly you're an idiot who knows nothing about ignition systems. I can purt near guarantee you I've installed more MSD items than a lot of people on this forum over the years and I still am not crazy about it. The factory Chrysler ignition to me is far simpler and will do the same thing.

don
Looking for modern equivalent for the chrome ecu, that is no longer available. Dad had the chrome one with blue heat sink, loaned it out, and it's now mia, (imagine that). Still looking for it. In the meantime, I'm looking to see what else is available. His car will not run on anything less than that chrome box. What are the options?
Dont know ,but I have an original that came in the basket with my barracuda, went with MSD and didnt use it ...

Looking for modern equivalent for the chrome ecu, that is no longer available. Dad had the chrome one with blue heat sink, loaned it out, and it's now mia, (imagine that). Still looking for it. In the meantime, I'm looking to see what else is available. His car will not run on anything less than that chrome box. What are the options?

I think I have one on the 66 Formula S. I'll check to see if I can read any numbers.

I'd like to be able to get a P4120534 Chrome Box since I've had one on my car for over 20 yrs. and has worked perfect so thought it would be a good idea to get a spare just because .. Thanks Steve

LMAO..chrome and gold are just boxes..a complete M.S.D. system CAN'T be touched by anything mopar/fiat makes..have run 2 different M.S.D. on my dusters always performed flawlessly,something that could NEVER be said EVER about Mopar ignition systems:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

All these disagrees from a post TWO years ago I still stand by my statement I have run 2 complete MSD systems in my duster NEVER had a failure!!! go to the track and see what people who race seriously are using I'll bet 9 out of 10 are running MSD!!!

I put one of the Hi Rev 7500 boxes from Ehrenberg on my 71 Demon 340 that RRR references above. Seems to be fine but I keep a spare in the car "just in case." It had an old Chrome box but after sitting for 25 years, it seems the chrome box oozed it's guts out into the box it was stored in forcing me to find another.

My avatar 408 car has a very old MSD 6AL box that seems to work fine. I've unintentionally hit 7000+ rpm with it and the box seems to keep up fine.

Last edited:
All these disagrees from a post TWO years ago I still stand by my statement I have run 2 complete MSD systems in my duster NEVER had a failure!!! go to the track and see what people who race seriously are using I'll bet 9 out of 10 are running MSD!!!
I'm not disagreeing with you, but how old was the MSD? It's changed in a bad way since they went digital.

I put one of the Hi Rev 7500 boxes from Ehrenberg on my 71 Demon 340 that RRR references above. Seems to be fine but I keep a spare in the car "just in case." It had an old Chrome box but after sitting for 25 years, it seems the chrome box oozed it's guts out into the box it was stored in forcing me to find another.

My avatar 408 car has a very old MSD 6AL box that seems to work fine I've unintentionally hit 7000+ rpm with it and the box seems to keep up fine.
Not keeping a spare box would be like not keeping a spare ballast. I even keep a spare point type distributor in the car, since the electronic box will fire that, too.

I think he said in the past it was an older unit. The new ones have sucked, the old ones were much better. My one and only MSD box that lasted, which was an easy 20 years was the first one I bought. Everyone there after sucked balls.

Back in the 80's or 90's I drank the MS "Racer" Kool-Aid. Pulled my chrome box and plugged in an MSD box. Ran it for a few years, then started having weak ignition problems. Swapped the chrome box back in and problems solved. Trashed the MSD and been running that same old chrome box, even today. Fell for the same "Race" BS with Holley, after a couple years of rebuilding and tweaking that POS I put the original 273 AFB back on. Still there today, Zero problems. Keep your "Race" stuff I run on the street where everything has to work more than a 1/4 mile at a time and there is a trailer waiting to get your "Race" stuff home.

-
Back