Chrome locking strips

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
I might need to replace my chrome locking strip on a 68 Dodge Dart convertible. Windshield is leaking and might pull that out to look at weather stripping under it. I've looked around and found Layson's has them but spendy $189, any one else have a source for them that might be a little cheaper? thanks

I used 80's dodge ramcharger chrome rear window window lock strip. Little cheaper. it is not not the exact same shape but works.

Sorry for slow response, gone a couple of days. Is the Year 1 piece a chrome strip on top? I looked at item and it didn't appear to be. thanks for help

Just talked to Layson's guy and he said it's not chrome but it is shiney plastic mylar strip that looks like chrome on top. sooooooo never mind!

Gasket and trim strip for 68-69 ragtop:
http://www.soffseal.com/store/main.aspx?p=SearchBody&search=searchmmy&make=dodge&model=dart&byear=68&eyear=69&producttype=C

Attachments

• Orig & YO-LSsml.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 369
Expensive trim piece...
the Year One repro doesnt look like same angle as orig?

I still am toying with installing a chrome stainless strip in mine. I haven't started looking yet for what I might try but I do have a few to choose from. The mylar shrinks and peels over time no matter what you do.

I'm looking at alternatives also.
The vert has a chromed plastic piece on the rear interior panel. I found that with a little work , the stainelss piece from a door will slide over that plastic giving it a stainless skin that will never need renewed. A similar approach would work at the bottom of the windshield ? Stainless ( from any other A-body ) on the exposed top and plastic gasket locking form underneath ?

When I had my 66 Barracuda windshield replaced and rear window put back in the installers used the locking strip from a (don't laugh) Chevy S-10. They said it was exactly the same and would work. I was happy with the results and the cost was inexpensive. I don't know what year S-10 was used but it was OK.

I'm looking at alternatives also.
The vert has a chromed plastic piece on the rear interior panel. I found that with a little work , the stainelss piece from a door will slide over that plastic giving it a stainless skin that will never need renewed. A similar approach would work at the bottom of the windshield ? Stainless ( from any other A-body ) on the exposed top and plastic gasket locking form underneath ?

Sounds like a good idea, Red. I've never thought about it. Would a hardtop , stainless piece fit? Would it still fit in the bottom ends of the upright pieces?

bbeep71 said:
When I had my 66 Barracuda windshield replaced and rear window put back in the installers used the locking strip from a (don't laugh) Chevy S-10. They said it was exactly the same and would work. I was happy with the results and the cost was inexpensive. I don't know what year S-10 was used but it was OK.

Yes, but that's a completely different situation. This lockstrip/reveal molding for 1967-1969 A body convertibles is nothing like the generic/GM pickup/ Ramcharger/"anything else" stuff.

See post #9 above for what it needs to be.

Sounds like a good idea, Red. I've never thought about it. Would a hardtop , stainless piece fit? Would it still fit in the bottom ends of the upright pieces?

The long piece for the bottom of any other A would need both ends altered to mate the A-pillar stainless on the vert

-
Back