Chrome?

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
I have done very little with plastic for a long time. I have several old left over parts that were chrome. They are not looking too good any more. What is available and practical to "restore" them.
Thanks,
Mike

there is a paint out there called "alclad"
it comes in different tones and I love it

it is a little tricky to use but once you get the hang of it it works great
BUT it does need to be applied with a airbursh at very low pressure
it needs a black basecoat and the a lot of the finish depends on the base coat used
oh and prepping is everything here, the better the surface, the smoother the part the better the paint will be

and finally you want to shoot this at a 30-45 degree and put down a singe coat
2 at the very most

I am in no ways an expert at this but I get decent results dabbling

here is a duster im working on

and here is the blower set up for it

and the car put together

and one more for good contrast

the front bumper on this one is kit supplied chrome
the front wheels were kit chrome, not stripped, just hit over with straight black paint and then alclad
the rear wheels and hilborn unit were primered, painted black and then alcadded

Bumpers on the Nova are Alclad, also the motorcycle frame is Alclad.
It is finicky in application and needs to be handled with care but it comes out pretty good I think. The hood trim by the way is kit chrome and the grill is alclad.
The other option is to send them to a plater such as Dale Horner of Little Motor Car Company. He does vacuum plating of plastic and I've had personal experience with him and it's always been good
Paul

If you are just doing the chrome around the windows or flat trim. You could use Bare-
Metal foil. It's a very thin with a sticky backing. You can get it at most local hobby
shops. Good luck.

I applied BMF as window trim on the last two pics I posted

-
Back