cigarette lighter wiring

-

jymy

Reaction score
Car is ´67 Barracuda and seems that my cigarette lighter blows the fuse all the time and having short circuit somewhere. Can I just unplug the lighter wire and leave it unplugged? When I unplugged the wire the fuse did not blow anymore.

I´ve problems also with the left stop/signal light and back up lights so could these be related to the cigarette lighter problem?

Thanks in advance.

What car and year? On my Dart, pictured below, the cig lighter, gauge cluster and taillights are on on the same circuit.

And yes, if you dont use the lighter just unplug it and put a wire nut over the wire so it dont short to the dash.

I cant tell you if the lighting issues are related but now that we know what kind of car it is, I am sure someone will be able to.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

probably have a bad socket or most likely a bad element shorting it out. look inside the socket and make sure nothing is in there - a penny, paperclip ect. but yeah unplugging it will not effect anything else.

the other lighting problems are likely not related as all back lights would be out and not just the left side. for that check grounds, but in the 67 they have a tendency to corrode in the rear harness connector in the trunk on the left side.

The lighter wells are pretty much universal. Since so many cell phone chargers and such utilize that well design, it may never change. This means you could borrow the lighter from any other vehicle to find out if it is your element that blows the fuse. Clean the bottom of your well first. Debris carried in there by the element is typical.

Could easily be the well itself that's at fault if it's been used some. Lots of heat "in there."

-
Back