circuit board repair

-

VDART

Reaction score
i did a quick search & found repair topics on the pins on the board..
My question what about a break in the printed portion of the board? can this be soldered also? pins are fine -- this is a 1966 valiant v100. thanks Lawrence

You could just solder a short wire from the pin to the destination of the copper trace effectively bypassing the bad section of printed circuit board.

On many of the boards that trace will go to 2 places, the voltage limiter and the park brake indicator lamp.
E-bodies among others dont even have a printed circuit board. Everything is wired instead.
There are a couple of ways to patch the trace but the best fix is a good used board.
Most importantly... fix the initial cause so it doesn't happen again.

These boards remind me of something designed right after WWII. That is, they are pretty basic.

I would feel VERY comfortable simply soldering jumpers from one part of the trace to another.

Just scrape the coating off the board on the trace you need to repair, get it good and clean, and use good soldering technique, IE ENOUGH heat, but not TOO much, and use good quality solder meant for electrical/ electronic work. Radio Shack solder is "OK."

So far as the connectors, mine were so bad I abandoned them, and soldered pigtails on those traces, brought them out, and used "Molex" style connectors I bought at RadShack

Dont forget to take a GOOD look at your instrument limiter mount, unless you have a Rally dash. On mine, the spring fingers forming the "socket" on the board were not making contact WITH THE board. SO I had to jumper across from the fingers to the board

The photo below is not my board, this shows someone's homemade electronic replacement for the IVR But this shows the slots that form the "socket" and the brass fingers. These MUST make good contact (soldered) to the PC board

(This person's method, by the way is poor. He soldered the home made circuit to the brass fingers, which ARE a problem area. He SHOULD have just soldered the connections to the PC board right next to the connector

There is no need for all that wire, either. Follow the traces

The black wire off the little regulator is ground. Both the screws (follow the trace) are ground, and he could have either used a ring connector at the top screw, or soldered the wire near the screw

The blue wire actually goes to the harness connector pin at far right in the photo. Could have simply soldered it near there

And the red wire blows right past the gauge stud that it electrically connects to!!

ml-regulator3a.jpg

I soldered a piece of copper to jumper the gap, put it all back together. Car starts right up-- no change in the fuel/temp gauge-- ammeter appears much better & now the horns work-- so some progress!

I changed the headlight switch & will have to change it back out the new switch doesn't feel correct, cannot feel the click/detentes.
Thanks for the help, time to go play with for awhile & give the car a break. Lawrence

you can cut a section of a resistor lead and use it to bridge the gap. the lead is already tinned and will solder nicely.

-
Back