Classic Auto Air Belt alignment fix

-
I called Classic Auto Air to order an Upgrade Kit. Had to call get put on hold for 40 minutes cause ordering from web site didn't work. Anyway, I asked can I get compressor with a single pulley since '69 only uses one pulley. She said no can't do that leave one groove empty. So yeah now I have to have a compressor with an unused groove. Sure ok I'll get over it let me get the thing working first then maybe circle back see what I can do to get a single groove clutch setup later. But I was able to get the optional extra cost black compressor so happy about that.

Then I go to fill out some form to get Evaporator Core reconditioned and they say booked forever nope. All the radiator shops around me closed so I prob flush mine and pressure test it. Someone on here bought a reproduction Evap Core said it don't fit could not use it.

I can help you out. Mopar started using Sanden compressors on the 78-79 I think 4 cylinders FWD and those years Slant 6 Volare and Aspen, with a single groove clutch for the 17 series belt that mopar used on there single belt systems. You can find these on Ebay most times. The single groove Sanden clutch is part number 5210271 and the clutch coil is part number 5210276. Vintage Air sells a bracket kit for 69 and earlier small block-part number 161004. It says you need to move the alternator to the drivers side. But I saw a 68 Barracuda that had this kit and the alternator fit fine in the stock location. I have one but haven't yet installed it on my 67 Dart.
I called Classic Auto Air to order an Upgrade Kit. Had to call get put on hold for 40 minutes cause ordering from web site didn't work. Anyway, I asked can I get compressor with a single pulley since '69 only uses one pulley. She said no can't do that leave one groove empty. So yeah now I have to have a compressor with an unused groove. Sure ok I'll get over it let me get the thing working first then maybe circle back see what I can do to get a single groove clutch setup later. But I was able to get the optional extra cost black compressor so happy about that.

Then I go to fill out some form to get Evaporator Core reconditioned and they say booked forever nope. All the radiator shops around me closed so I prob flush mine and pressure test it. Someone on here bought a reproduction Evap Core said it don't fit could not use it.

does your application run anything besides the compressor with that belt?
The original compressor had a single belt that went from crank to compressor and nothing else. The Original Air kit for '69 and back small block is supposed to use one belt but a two groove pulley is on the Sanden compressor.

Both these clutch 5210271 and coil 5210276 are available on Ebay right now. I don't know how the compressor alignment would be.

I can help you out. Mopar started using Sanden compressors on the 78-79 I think 4 cylinders FWD and those years Slant 6 Volare and Aspen, with a single groove clutch for the 17 series belt that mopar used on there single belt systems. You can find these on Ebay most times. The single groove Sanden clutch is part number 5210271 and the clutch coil is part number 5210276. Vintage Air sells a bracket kit for 69 and earlier small block-part number 161004. It says you need to move the alternator to the drivers side. But I saw a 68 Barracuda that had this kit and the alternator fit fine in the stock location. I have one but haven't yet installed it on my 67 Dart.
Found both of those NOS parts on ebay thanks.

Both these clutch 5210271 and coil 5210276 are available on Ebay right now. I don't know how the compressor alignment would be.
I bought both of them on ebay. Most likely have to cut/weld/modify brackets and lord knows what else to get it to line up. But we will see.

Those brackets look like they will work. Some of these bracket kits call for using the Shorty Sanden compressor. Read your directions good.

The original compressor had a single belt that went from crank to compressor and nothing else. The Original Air kit for '69 and back small block is supposed to use one belt but a two groove pulley is on the Sanden compressor.
from all the input on this thread it seems that you might be fine with one belt. The issue seems to arise when the compressor and alternator are on the same belt...

-
Back