Classic Auto Air Belt alignment fix

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Last year when doing the restomod on my 1970 Dart GT, I purchased and installed a Classic Auto Air AC/heater kit. It wasn’t cheap and was billed as a Perfect Fit kit – it was anything but. The one that I got was for a 1967-76 A body and specifically used a factory AC crank pulley (3 groove), water pump pulley and 2 groove pulley alternator. There were a number of things that needed to be changed or adapted in this kit but I won’t go into all that here. What this is about was the most vexing and difficult to remedy issue with the kit. When all was installed as designed the double groove alternator pulley, the double groove AC compressor pulley, and the two grooves for that purpose on the crank pulley do not line up – or rather only one groove lines up. The bracket that comes with the kit to mount the compressor that is also part of the kit is a tight fit. The back of the compressor is right up against the thermostat housing on the intake, as a matter of fact the directions even talk about grinding a bit on the housing to provide sufficient clearance for the compressor. This means that the compressor cannot possibly move any further back. This results in the compressor groove that is closest to the engine aligning with the grooves on the crank pulley that are the farthest from the engine.

This means that the AC compressor and alternator run on just one belt. I called Classic Air and they sent me to Bouchillon because they make the kit to mount the compressor (indeed their name is engraved on the main bracket). Bouchillon told me you only need one belt and it would all be fine. Once the belts got a little broken in I found that this was not the case. No matter how tight I adjusted the single belt, just as soon as it got hot outside (just when you need the AC) or the belt got warmed up, the belt squealed like a pig whenever the compressor engaged. This includes when the compressor engages to dehumidify the defrost air.

DSC04837.JPG

DSC04838.JPG

Here is the fix that I used to get the pulleys aligned. My situation was complicated because the current arrangement includes a power steering pump and water pump pulley that run on a single belt in front of the AC/alternator belts. Since the compressor is fixed, the alternator and crank pulleys need to move away from the engine the distance of one belt groove so that 2 grooves are aligned. You can space the alternator forward by moving the forward alternator mounting ear to the front of the forward compressor bracket, then using spacers to make the whole assembly tight. One groove width including the metal around the actual groove Is ½ inch.

The crank pulley could be spaced forward with a custom made spacer behind the crank pulley and longer bolts, but I opted to dig through a bin of factory crank pulleys and find one that moved the grooves to the right place. I couldn’t find exactly what I needed – you need two matched depth grooves toward the engine for the AC/alternator double belts and a single groove in front of that for Power steering/water pump belt. What I found was a readily available 4 groove crank pulley that worked perfectly. You have to be sure that the crank pulley diameters are very close to the original AC crank pulley. I went to a machine shop and they lopped off the extra 4th groove from the front, mostly for aesthetic reasons. This is not necessary.

The result of this work was a two belt set up for compressor and alternator, but the belt furthest from the engine was now in the same place as the water pump and power steering pulleys so they also had to move forward one pulley groove. You could put a spacer behind the water pump pulley, but that would move both the groove and the location of the fan (to a less than optimal location). Back to the old pulley bin, and I was able to find a factory pulley that was the same diameter, but was 1 groove shallower, leaving the fan location unchanged, but moved the groove forward to the correct location. Moving the PS forward was pretty easy by spacing all the bolts attaching it to the block one groove farther from the block and using ½ inch longer bolts. Don’t try to do this by spacing within the multiple brackets holding the pump.

Here are some pics of the resulting set up.

1000000665.jpg

1000000666.jpg

1000000667.jpg

1000000670.jpg

1000000671.jpg

I hope this makes your life with this system easier! Much of the Classic Air system including the design of the electrical parts, the new AC/heater box under the dash, most of the controls, the quality of the compressor are excellent. They just needed to install a few of these and fix all the little **** that each of us now has to resolve on our own. I have little good to say about Bouchillon, who clearly knew that the one belt system both looked like crap and was vastly inferior to the factory 2 belt drive, and yet couldn’t be bothered to fix the alignment.

1000000668.jpg

Last edited:
I installed one of the Bouchilion kits on a friends wife's 70 Cuda 340.... Same as you, I didn't like it & expected problems... But she's pretty easy on the go pedal so it gets by...

When I decided to add a Sanden compressor to my 340 I knew I wasn't gonna accept one belt.... My solution is a little different but in the end same effect...

I did have to customize the water pump pulley..

thumbnail_IMG_8389.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8390.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8391.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8392.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8393.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8394.jpg

I think a lot of issues can be solved with idler pulleys

I know the Classic kit for using non-AC crank pulley and no power steering is a completely different deal and comes with a different pairing of belts and an idler pulley is part of the kit. But I think it still only uses 1 belt on the compressor.

Bouchillon.Good products. Not good for service. This was awhile ago, I called and asked about kick down cable kit and got chastised for calling instead of using their web site. I was told to get out of the dark ages. Not everyone has or is computer literate. Pissed me till this day. That was 24 years ago.
Sorry to hear the one belt didn't work for you. I am running 1 belt and so far it works for me.
Nice and cool in Las Vegas 100* temps. I guess I got lucky. Yeah it took allot of spacing this, trimming that, to make it work.

IMG_0004.JPG

Good solutions to a common retrofit AC problem! I got a Classic Air kit last year from @RAT ROD AL and I'm going to put it on my 70 Duster. Years ago, I saw a 70 Cuda 340 at a show with a Sanden compressor mounted to a factory small block AC bracket. The guy told me it was incredibly easy to line it up so it works with 2 belts. He welded front tabs to the factory mount and made a simple bracket for the rear mount of the compressor. It looked really nice, so I'm gonna give that a go when it's time.

Bouchillon.Good products. Not good for service. This was awhile ago, I called and asked about kick down cable kit and got chastised for calling instead of using their web site. I was told to get out of the dark ages. Not everyone has or is computer literate. Pissed me till this day. That was 24 years ago.
Sorry to hear the one belt didn't work for you. I am running 1 belt and so far it works for me.
Nice and cool in Las Vegas 100* temps. I guess I got lucky. Yeah it took allot of spacing this, trimming that, to make it work.

View attachment 1716179756
You single belt only drives the compressor.... STR12-340 & I both are running the alternator & the A/C with the same belt.. So a little different... Honestly I would expect yours to slip too on a hot day when the high side/head pressure is over 300 PSI should you be to aggressive with the throttle...

My '69 factory compressor used one belt. But it had two idler pulleys just below it to increase the belt wrap around the compressor and crank pulleys. The two idler pulleys sort of squeezed it from both sides if you will. The one belt went from crank to compressor nothing else.

One belt driving both compressor and alternator I think is an issue because the belt around the compressor does not have much wrap much contact. Thats probably why two belts are needed with that setup.

I have this same problem on my Duster. Only one belt running the compressor. It does squeel when you rev er' up. I'll be looking to clean this mess up before the end of the winter. Thanks for the pics and knowledge. Here's mine.

1702892669433.jpeg

Glad you got that fixed, and thanks for the info. I have a Vintage Air setup on my 440, with the same issue with only running 1 belt. The kit came with a plethora or spacers that had to be played with to even get the pulleys to line up. My engine builder said it took him almost 8 hours to get it all right. The inside groove of the compressor-to-alternator cannot be used because the alt & PS bolt heads are right in the middle of where the belt would go. If I ever get bored I may play with it to see what I can do. The NAPA belt my builder used squealed terribly so I changed to a Dayco Top Cog style belt which resolved that. I would certainly like to run 2 belts though. Less stress on the bearings and better grip on all.

I know on my snow blower the pitch/angle of the V on the belt has to be spot on with manufacturer specs otherwise it slips and wears out. I tried using a generic belt on snow blower from local auto parts store after a few uses belt would wear down cause V angle didn't have enough contact. Not sure if automotive V belts vary in the V pitch like that.

Sort of weird they always provide a two belt compressor with those AC kits but out of the box can't run two belts?

It took forever for me to get everything lined up with one belt. Just dropped the engine in so it'll probably be another month or so before I start her up. Not looking forward to having to redo all that work if the single belt slips.

Really appreciate the write up. Have this bookmarked for when I inevitably have to do it all over again.

Glad you got that fixed, and thanks for the info. I have a Vintage Air setup on my 440, with the same issue with only running 1 belt. The kit came with a plethora or spacers that had to be played with to even get the pulleys to line up. My engine builder said it took him almost 8 hours to get it all right. The inside groove of the compressor-to-alternator cannot be used because the alt & PS bolt heads are right in the middle of where the belt would go. If I ever get bored I may play with it to see what I can do. The NAPA belt my builder used squealed terribly so I changed to a Dayco Top Cog style belt which resolved that. I would certainly like to run 2 belts though. Less stress on the bearings and better grip on all.
Big blocks normally are pretty easy, I've installed Sanden compressors on over a dozen 383's & 440's... Use the 69-71 Alternator/Power Steering/Water Pump/ Idler & four groove crank pulley... Use all the original spacers in their original locations... Bolt the A/C compressor brackets in place & use the 1/4" shims on the rear mounting tabs.... Should be an easy install with good belt alignment....

Big blocks normally are pretty easy, I've installed Sanden compressors on over a dozen 383's & 440's... Use the 69-71 Alternator/Power Steering/Water Pump/ Idler & four groove crank pulley... Use all the original spacers in their original locations... Bolt the A/C compressor brackets in place & use the 1/4" shims on the rear mounting tabs.... Should be an easy install with good belt alignment....
Thanks for that info. The engine was built from scratch so not sure what spacers are original.

To follow up on belts - I have never had much luck with the common belts with all the little divots cut in them. I found a source for original factory type belts from Quanta (same people that make all our repop gas tanks) in Rising Sun Maryland. They have factory style solid belts for all of our common bb and sb applications and options. They aren't cheap, but then again none of these belts are inexpensive. Look under "Quanta reproduction belts".

To follow up on belts - I have never had much luck with the common belts with all the little divots cut in them. I found a source for original factory type belts from Quanta (same people that make all our repop gas tanks) in Rising Sun Maryland. They have factory style solid belts for all of our common bb and sb applications and options. They aren't cheap, but then again none of these belts are inexpensive. Look under "Quanta reproduction belts".
Interesting.... Quanta as a rule isn't known for making a great belt for a driven vehicle... They are popular amongst the trailer queen crowd cause they look OE with all the right markings.... Either they've greatly improved their quality or it's just a strange anomaly that they work in this application...

That has not been my experience. I have worked on two other small block A-bodies with persistent belt squeal issues on factory belt set ups and was able to solve them with Quanta belts. I have them on all 3 of my a-bodies and drive them all quite a bit.

That has not been my experience. I have worked on two other small block A-bodies with persistent belt squeal issues on factory belt set ups and was able to solve them with Quanta belts. I have them on all 3 of my a-bodies and drive them all quite a bit.

Any idea what application the 4 groove pulley you used was from? I don't have any in my spares and I'd hate to play the guessing game with buying online if there's like 57 different 4 groove pulleys out there.

sorry, no idea - the shop where we build race cars has bins and nobody ever throws a pulley away, so when you need something you just start digging through the bins. There were several just like this so it must be a common application. most of the race cars are 440s so that might be the source.

have been looking around, I see that there are 4 grove big block lower crank pulley's out there , a lot on E-Bay, some are stepped, 2 groves are a smaller dia. then the other 2 groves. also Mancini has a new Billet Aluminum 4 grove for 108.00 cvf scrl 4cr hf is their part number. The 4 grove big block pulley used on this web page was it a stepped one or are they all the same dia. ?

When I bought the Buchillion brackets, I went for the low mount on passenger side. They told me if it shares the belt with an alternator that has any real output, that I would get "a squeal from hell".

I chose to mount the alternator on the drivers side so it would not share a belt. I do eye the single belt from time to time, but I have yet to run the car on the street. Only have run it in the shop. That should change this spring and I might have to deal with it then.

At this point there is no squeal.

383 4 speed Classic Air.

Any idea what application the 4 groove pulley you used was from? I don't have any in my spares and I'd hate to play the guessing game with buying online if there's like 57 different 4 groove pulleys out there.

This is speculation and fuzzy memories (crap, I'm getting old) here, but I vaguely recall that 80s 318 M-bodies with A/C and smog pumps had weirdly-complex multi-belt drives. I wouldn't be surprised if trucks and vans may have also used something similar.

I think that the one that I used probably came off a loaded big block c body car considering what the guys do that collected that stash of pulleys...

-
Back