Classic Auto Air Fan malfunction...anyone have this happen?

-

ACME SS

Reaction score
I recently installed the latest version of classic auto air's Mopar A body AC/Heat unit. When I say latest version, I mean that it has rheostats on the HVAC control levers, not the older cable system they used to sell.

So before I tear my dash apart to get to the fan switch I thought I would see if anyone else had this same problem.

The system was working fine until yesterday. Yesterday I was driving down the road and decided it was getting a little warm so I moved the fan switch to the first notch. This should have turned the SPAL fan to low and engaged the compressor clutch. The clutch engaged but the fan went to full speed. I moved it to high and nothing changed with regard to the fan. I tried to turn the fan off but the fan was stuck at full and would not turn off. Before I could exit the freeway (80 mph limit) and get somewhere safe to shut the car off and pull the fuse, the fan quit running. The compressor still responds to the fan switch but the fan no longer operates. The fan did not seem to be exceptionally hot when I pulled off the freeway and the control module is blinking red which means there is power to it. No codes are flashing.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? I'm suspecting the fan switch but thought perhaps someone else has had this problem if there is a manufacturing issue with it or the fan itself and would wait to see if anyone else had this happen before I tear my dash apart and start calling CAA. Thanks

All right then, I guess I'm going in and tearing my dash apart. Hopefully it is the switch cause I'm not sure you can remove the fan without taking the evaporator box out.

Last edited:
Watching, as Ive been contemplating one of their systems since forever ago, & now that the car is apart, was getting ready to pull the trigger

After removing the fan switch and ohming it out, I called Classic Auto Air and it would appear I have a failed ECU board. I will say this, they are good at customer service but I just hope parts last once the warranty is over.

-
Back