Classic Industries chrome fuel tank cap warning.

-

JF900

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Just a heads-up that I had a catastrophic failure on two of these. One I purchased and the second was a replacement for the first. This is for PN MA8174 which is a non-vented cap.

This cap is held together with a single spot weld. When that fails it pops the inner cap with the latching ears into the tank. Not good! Both caps had cold weld joints with no weld nugget.

Same for the AMD made oil filler cap that I got from Classic. Part with the ears falls off the cap and falls into the valve cover - YIKES!!!This happened to me driving down the road and fortunately the piece got hung up behind the springs. I got home and no filler cap, thought I had spaced it when topping off the oil, I just happened to look in the opening with the light just right when I put another cap on and saw the piece stuck in the head.

Telling us is all fine and good but maybe tagging the company to let them know about a hazardous condition might be prudent.

Just a friendly reminder…

IMG_7783.gif

That's why I get only the original design caps that screw together. They are much more robust.

This is the cap in question.
Gas Cap

I am at a loss why it's not made like the OEM caps and held together with one screw in the center. Even the older name brand aftermarket caps are made that way. I have a Stant G26 with the "hurricane" handle on Vixen and that's how it's made. I also keep the original one with the straight handle in the glovebox and it's made like that too. One screw through the center that holds everything together. That's pretty ridiculous to charge 50 bucks for a gas cap that's only help together with a crappy spot weld. ....and we all know where they come from. That right there is why I try to hawk ebay for old factory and aftermarket NOS items. Much better quality.

I laugh when you call the company and they are like, “sure, no problem. We will send you another - no charge. And “no” we do not want the old one back.”

That’s salesman speak for - “we bought them so cheap and you idiots are paying so much for them that we don’t really care they are breaking. This is our formula to making money.”
Syleng1

"MADE IN CHINA TO CHINESE SPECS"! Nuff said! As stated, the companies DO NOT care, it's all about the bottom line. Efficiency experts and accountants run the big companies and have NO idea, nor do they care about our sport/hobby.

Here's some photos of the problem weld.

I made sure to tell they're rep to push this to management. Not sure what that is worth...

20231119_201240.jpg

20231119_201254.jpg

20231119_201305.jpg

Drill 2 holes through the outer part and weld it. Then paint the cap body color.

A friend thought someone stole his cap and bought a new one. He found the inside the next time he wen to fill it. Gas came sloshing out the top. Who knows where the outside fell off on the road.

Telling us is all fine and good but maybe tagging the company to let them know about a hazardous condition might be prudent.
I corresponded with both Classic and AMD who is the manufacturer of the oil fill cap. Classic refunded my money. I posted this info when it first happened and 2 other FABO members responded saying that they had the same thing happen. I forwarded the link to the thread to AMD.

Hey Guys,

Just now came across this thread.

I went and pulled some gas caps from our current inventory and found that our current stock has 2 welds and much better heat penetration than what's shown above. See attached pic.

We also put a couple of these gas caps in a vise and cranked on them to check the strength of welds, the caps didn't budge at all. They felt very solid.

We're going to go through our inventory and remove any gas caps that have a single spot weld.

@str12-340 Can you send me the part number of the oil fill cap that you bought? I want to check on this to see what's going on with those caps.

If anyone here has had a problem like this with one of our gas caps or oil caps, please contact me as soon as possible so I can work on getting it corrected.

Thanks,
Gabe Flores
Brand Manager
Classic Industries

Screen Shot 2023-12-20 at 2.20.18 PM.png

Glad to see you're addressing the issue.

I also would like to mention, that your organization provided good service in reimbursing me with no hurdles or hassles.

Drill 2 holes through the outer part and weld it. Then paint the cap body color.

A friend thought someone stole his cap and bought a new one. He found the inside the next time he wen to fill it. Gas came sloshing out the top. Who knows where the outside fell off on the road.
unfortunately yes modifying them to work seems to be the solution

Hey Guys,

Just now came across this thread.

I went and pulled some gas caps from our current inventory and found that our current stock has 2 welds and much better heat penetration than what's shown above. See attached pic.

We also put a couple of these gas caps in a vise and cranked on them to check the strength of welds, the caps didn't budge at all. They felt very solid.

We're going to go through our inventory and remove any gas caps that have a single spot weld.

@str12-340 Can you send me the part number of the oil fill cap that you bought? I want to check on this to see what's going on with those caps.

If anyone here has had a problem like this with one of our gas caps or oil caps, please contact me as soon as possible so I can work on getting it corrected.

Thanks,
Gabe Flores
Brand Manager
Classic Industries

View attachment 1716180937
Caint ask for much more than that!

-
Back