cleaning a holley

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
I got an 1850 that looks very good...under a coat of silver paint! ;-( I would like to soak the paint off but retain the dichromate finish. Every one I soaked in Berrymans carb dip it comes out silver. I also have some mean gasket material thats really on there. Any good home remedy, ie simple green or vinegar soak? I dont want to scrape it if I dont have to. The tacky silver paint actually spared it from ANY corrosion so its virgin under what I could get off with a small amount of solvent I had.

I usually use the spray Barrymans to get the black soot/carbon off. I don't soak it for long periods and they come pretty clean.

I also use the CRC Brake Cleaner in the red cans (the one with chlorine - not the green can with out chlorine). I like to use the brake parts cleaner because it dries quicker and gets the parts cleaner than the CRC Carb Cleaner. Then I blast it with the air compressor with a rubber tipped nozzle through the passages.

The red can CRC can help soften the gasket material that is stuck on there.

You can get both the CRC and Barrymans at Auto Zone.

View attachment Parts Cleaner A03 B3.jpg

Simple Green removes the gold finish too. Use acetone.

Lacquer thinner - put it in a seal-able container big enough to dip the carb parts in and close the lid. Let sit for a couple days, give it a swish. Brake fluid may work, too - it sure eats the paint off my firewall! LOL..You could also use the carb dip that comes in a pail, but the 1 gal cans aren't big enough to get the main body section or the throttle plate into.

-
Back