Cleaning oil off concrete driveway.

-
$2.97 at Walmart and you’ll have plenty left for next time. It will take 30 seconds and you can get on to bigger and better things.
I’m done.

BE595239-10F2-4C9E-9B3A-26F2B7E8E72A.jpeg

I had a brand new concrete driveway poured last year. Yesterday, unfortunately a Buddies vehicle made an 8" stain when the power steering hose leaked. What is the best way to clean this without harming the concrete? I was considering spraying the area with carb cleaner, perhaps there is a more environmentally friendly yet effective method?
Tried just about everything. This by far has been the best.

Pour-N-Restore 16 oz. Oil Stain Remover-PNR16OZ - The Home Depot

Where can you get 1,1,1, at ?
Sounds illegal now.....Find a Sears! You could get all sorts of crazy stuff from them in the past...
View attachment 1715312972

That is an old can from Sears from a while back. I use it occasionally for spot cleaning. Running low though.

Maybe your neighborhood dry cleaner still uses it or you could try "gold-bay"...…...

1 55 Gallon Drum of Trichloroethylene Technical Grade High Purity Stain Remover | eBay

$2.97 at Walmart and you’ll have plenty left for next time. It will take 30 seconds and you can get on to bigger and better things.
I’m done.

View attachment 1715312983
How exactly does it work, I'm not following the concept of this method? Does it super cool the surface and evaporate the oil? Upon inspection this morning in sunlight, I didnt get quite as clean as i had thought last night. I'll be back at it after work.

How exactly does it work, I'm not following the concept of this method? Does it super cool the surface and evaporate the oil? Upon inspection this morning in sunlight, I didnt get quite as clean as i had thought last night. I'll be back at it after work.

I’m not sure exactly, but it seams to break the oil down and then wash it down into the concrete leaving the service oil &stain free

I would not use any household product that clearly states its use for removing lime build-up......or you may end up with a clean circular patch that is a ruff texture not like the rest of the pad.. lol.

Ether/starting fluid works so well at cleaning oil off concrete that I think anyone who tries it on their dirty shop floor will run out and buy a few cases. Just open all the windows and doors and no smoking !
I also use it as the final step before painting engines, front end parts, etc

Tried just about everything. This by far has been the best.

Pour-N-Restore 16 oz. Oil Stain Remover-PNR16OZ - The Home Depot

I can personally vouch for this product. Spilled 5 qts oil on my concrete driveway, sopped up the liquid portion with rags then used 2 bottles on the stain. Followed instructions and it left a very very light stain. After the first good rainfall it was gone! You can't see any evidence of the spill!
I've used it in very cold temps and it still works. I always have a bottle on the shelf.

If fresh, I start with sawdust or floor dry to soak up as much residual fluid as possible.

I start there, let is sit an hour or three then hit it with a broom.

Then I grind it in with something solid like a block of wood.

Sweep up that mess, then Joy or Dawn soap scrubbed in good with a stiff bristle brush.

I let that sit a day & then water to clean up.

That stuff looks pretty good, Ill have to get a bottle. I got a spot that even the power washer wont lift. It looks good but when it dries the stain is still there.

I wash my shop floor with simple green, about an ounce in 2 quarts of water. It was sealed 4 yeaes ago when i poured it but never since.
If i go pure simple green and scrub it it cleans it nice.

I got the Dawn out today with a heavy scrub brush after tearing down a 225 core. Got all the grease off the surface, but the stain is still there. Only thing that will get it off for "me" is my pressure washer. Not going to break that out until I get ready to paint the concrete floor.

I got the Dawn out today with a heavy scrub brush after tearing down a 225 core. Got all the grease off the surface, but the stain is still there. Only thing that will get it off for "me" is my pressure washer. Not going to break that out until I get ready to paint the concrete floor.
I really want to paint my floor,but it gets slippery when its wet.
I painted the deck on the hoist,when it gets wet its slicker than goose ****.

I really want to paint my floor,but it gets slippery when its wet.
I painted the deck on the hoist,when it gets wet its slicker than goose ****.

My floor does that too, but that's WHY I want to paint it. It sweats condensation from underneath.

My floor does that too, but that's WHY I want to paint it. It sweats condensation from underneath.
Have a small garage and floor was always damp. Dehumidifier, and now it has year round running water so heat on all winter made a huge difference. No more rusty lathe.

• Spot on floor where I work from a leaking service truck - Motor oil, about 10” round.
  • Before

E12BFE5A-736B-4C75-BA97-C259FD259CFD.jpeg

Last edited:
After
  • Sprayed with starting fluid.
A few minutes later

427161D7-1669-4B8A-8828-925B14E92AD1.png

Last edited:
That is awesome, thanks! I used wd40 the second night, it worked very well.

Easy....pour some oil dry on the oil and grind it into the oil stain with your shoe. Gone.

-
Back