Cleaning out idle circuit on Edelbrock AFB

-

kiss

Reaction score
Guys,
I'm taking the top off my Edelbrock AFB to adjust the floats and clean the needle/seat. While I am at it I also want to remove the 2 idle mixture screws to clean out the idle circuit. I don't have access to compressed air right now but I do have a spray can of carb cleaner. Can I just spray some carb cleaner into the idle circuit via the mixture screw holes? Or will that cause more harm than good?

Put it back together. Fire up. Rev the holy piss out of it. While holding mega high rpm, slap something over the carb mouth. You want something that seals well, no air leaks. Couple shop towels, your hand, mother in law's muumuu, whatever. Choke it until it floods out and dies (some guys manually close the choke at the same time)

The suction will pull a surprising amount of crap through. Hold throttle wide open and crank until it clears out enough to restart. Rev it a little and see if your idle has improved.

That's the Italian Tuneup. Works great on Fiats.

The above post is true! I had a blocked main jet on my '53 Buick last year; it idled fine but as soon as I hit the gas the thing wouldn't get out of its own way. I slapped my hand on top of the carb, stalled it, and it sucked whatever was in the jet through. It ran fine after that.

With that being said, you won't hurt anything by spraying carb cleaner into the mixture screw orifices. I recently had an issue where my '65 Skylark with an AFB idled funny and surged at lower speeds. I tried blowing compressed air into the mixture screw openings, but it wasn't working. I finally pulled off the carb top, removed the primary venturi clusters, and cleaned everything out. It's been fine ever since.

Try squirting some 2+2 or other strong carb cleaner down the bowl vent and air bleeds to help dislodge dirt and varnish while choking the carb.

I've squirted carb cleaner right into the adjustment screw area, then plopped a finger over the empty screw hole. That worked for me. I evidently got a bit of water or dirt ......something.....about 4 times over a couple of weeks when I ran the Ed Carb.

The screw holes are just the last orifice in the circuit. The business end is on the bottom of the emulsion tubes sticking down from the clusters, and in the Air bleeds. The clusters are easily removed.

The screw holes are just the last orifice in the circuit. The business end is on the bottom of the emulsion tubes sticking down from the clusters, and in the Air bleeds. The clusters are easily removed.
What do you mean "clusters"? Do you have a pic? I'd like to know what they are and how to remove them

-
Back