Clear float bowl plugs

-

340inabbody

Reaction score
Does anyone use those clear see-through float bowl plugs? Seems like that’s a great idea rather than spilling gas anytime you wanna check float height. But I’m not sure if they work very well.
Oh and are these used just as a diagnostic tool or run permanently?

Last edited:
Does anyone use those clear see-through float bowl plugs? Seems like that’s a great idea rather than spilling gas anytime you wanna check float height. But I’m not sure if they work very well.
You really can't see through them accurately

The Quick Fuels all have glass sight plugs retained by snap rings and sealed by o-rings. They don't fail.

If you leave them in... they get soft.
I did that once, figured it out and put the brass plugs back in.

I think some folks are confused about the old plastic sight level plugs, which were supposed to be temporary, and the new permanent glass inserts that are used.

Lots of new carburetors come with glass inserts now. The Holley Ultra double pumpers like the one I have on my Duster (0-76750BK) do, the manual clearly advises they NOT be removed.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 10.50.08 PM.png

Mines been on the car about 8 years now, no issues with the sight glasses.

From my experience with the plastic (clear acrylic) is that tend to dry out and break in half right at the threads.

Then you have the threads stuck in the bowl and nothing left to grab onto to get them out. You end up having to take the bowl off and drill a hole in the threaded to remove them.

So I learned to just use them when setting the float levels and then put the metal plugs back in.

Tom

You really can't see through them accurately
Nailed it. They fog up once the motor heats up a coupla times and you can't see the fuel level.
When you get your Holley rebuilt, it is the first thing the Carb Guys throws out. They hate those things.

If you don’t have sight plugs then is float height just a mechanical measurement while disassembled? Like my motorcycles?

From my experience with the plastic (clear acrylic) is that tend to dry out and break in half right at the threads.

Then you have the threads stuck in the bowl and nothing left to grab onto to get them out. You end up having to take the bowl off and drill a hole in the threaded to remove them.

So I learned to just use them when setting the float levels and then put the metal plugs back in.

Tom

Exactly. That kind, the plastic thread in version, was made to screw in to replace a metal plug and was only supposed to be used to set the float height. Then you removed them and put the brass plug back in. They weren’t ever supposed to be left in place.

The new ones that are permanently installed in some newer carbs are a type of glass, and they don’t get hazy or deteriorate.

Either get ahold of 63gt and buys his plugs (they work very well) or just buy two knew bowls with sight glasses on them.

Anything else and your just wasting your time and money.

Either get ahold of 63gt and buys his plugs (they work very well) or just buy two knew bowls with sight glasses on them.

Anything else and your just wasting your time and money.
Just tried to PM 63GT his fricken mailbox is full.

I prefer the brass plug, I don't plan on monkeying with the float level after initial setting.
A terry cloth works just fine to capture any fuel.

I’m down to my last pair and he doesn’t have his phone number on the little package.

Hopefully someone knows him and can let him know people want his stuff

-
Back