Clever splice

-
They work quite well if done correctly, but they can be a little tricky especially at first until you get some experience with them. I've used them for over 30 years in the aerospace industry that I've now retired from.

There is another method to splice wires that I consider to be much stronger mechanically but it isn't quite as clean looking and isn't as quick and easy to accomplish.

T
There is another method to splice wires that I consider to be much stronger mechanically but it isn't quite as clean looking and isn't as quick and easy to accomplish.

...........I wish to hell you would show us...........

I'm afraid many of my splices aren't pretty, but they work. I don't build space shuttles, so I'm not concerned with a whole bunch of stuff that scene might entail.

Similar to what I did with a repair to trolling motor. Jammed the 2 frayed ends together, cut a long seperate single strand of copper and wrapped it snug around the "connection". Then applied solder. You WONT pull that one apart.Dont forget heat shrink 1st.
Thanks for posting, now I know how those connectors are used lol

solder1.jpg

solder2.jpg

solder3.jpg

The water proof part I do get. Its the pulling part that puzzles me... I haven't needed to pull on wiring like its a tow rope. Comment may be inspired by pic above LOL

Raychem makes them we mainly used them for shield splices on the aircraft. They are slick though, never even thought about using them on regular wiring.

How's that any different than the shrinky-gooey crimp connectors that auto parts stores have been selling for years? Edit: there lives ultra-low melting point solder inside. I'm kinda meh on that. If it needs solder, it needs to have the wire replaced. I'll keep my crimpy-melty ones from the parts store for now.

Nasa splices are da bes splices, if you have the extra wire.
How-to-Splice-and-Solder-to-NASA-Standards_e-2-copy.jpg

Way better than rosemary and thyme, those're just common everyday splices.

I stumbled across those on Amazon and having been using them lately. Very nice IMO, I do always use heat shrink on the outside. I just use a lighter until I see the solder flow and that’s it.
I’ve used them on old stuff and new stuff like my DD.

-
Back