CLOSE one today!!!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
No not that kind of close. But with my health problems, would've been a giant PITA. Intended to go for a short cruise, "get the wind" in the vents, etc, and completely forgot to take a look at the fuel gauge. Yeh........LOL

I'm going up the "Mica Hill" towards bottom left of the top photo, and the thing "blubs," and got my attention. So I turned around and coasted back down the big hill, nearly 2 miles going N on 95 with engine off, and in the second photo, coasted all the way down the ramp (left turn off 95) from the bridge to NW Blvd, and THEN on the 1/4 mi or so from the ramp on up to the station in the top of photo 3, the thing blurbed AGAIN TWICE.

The thing took over 17 gallons---didn't know it would HOLD that much!!!

Can you say, "running on fumes?"

Attachments

• coast1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 254
  • coast2.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 251
  • coast3.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 253
Tell ya I was sweatin' er, LOL. Haven't done that in a long time. I was just thinkin' the other day of a "good way" to build in some sort of reserve.......................

Glad to hear you were able to coast in.

My drivers ed teacher always told us to check the oil and water... The gas will take care of itself.

Tell ya I was sweatin' er, LOL. Haven't done that in a long time. I was just thinkin' the other day of a "good way" to build in some sort of reserve.......................

Funny you should mention the reserve thing, because it's plan for my car.
4-5 gallon aluminum tank in the trunk up next to the rear seat and vented into the original tank.
Could even put an electric switch in the cabin if you wanted to, but I'm just going to put a manual valve in the trunk so when you open it the fuel gravity flows into the main tank.

Funny you should mention the reserve thing, because it's plan for my car.
4-5 gallon aluminum tank in the trunk up next to the rear seat and vented into the original tank.
Could even put an electric switch in the cabin if you wanted to, but I'm just going to put a manual valve in the trunk so when you open it the fuel gravity flows into the main tank.

Here's what I was thinking..........upside down "Y" off the filler neck in the trunk into a small tank in the left quarter. You could fill the main and the spare with the single filler, and it would still be vented up through the filler into the vent tube.

Then all you need is a raggedy old electric pump, or even just a drain valve, plumbed from the bottom of the reserve back into the filler tube. Open that, the tank drains into the main.

Man'l brakes 'n steering, Steve, LOL Good thing that station wasn't any further down the street!!

If you'd just stop by a station once it a while
probably wouldn't be a problem. LOL.:evil4:
I never let my stuff get below half.

Here's what I was thinking..........upside down "Y" off the filler neck in the trunk into a small tank in the left quarter. You could fill the main and the spare with the single filler, and it would still be vented up through the filler into the vent tube.

Then all you need is a raggedy old electric pump, or even just a drain valve, plumbed from the bottom of the reserve back into the filler tube. Open that, the tank drains into the main.

The only problem I would have with that is you wouldn't have choice where the gas went.
Let's say you had 10 bucks on ya and most of it went into the reserve tank.
You would have to manually dump it to the main tank.
If they were totally separate, then you could put fuel in the reserve tank or not.
The way I think I would do it is to have a separate filler inside the trunk for reserve and only drop it to the main tank if I ran out.
Of course my way would require that you dump it into the main once in awhile to refresh it so it didn't get old.
Your way you wouldn't.

Glad you made it. That wouldda sucked.

Well, if you just planned all of your trips so they were downhill all the way, you'd get a world record for gas mileage!!!:toothy10:

Beautiful country you live in, 67Dart273. That part of Idaho is beautiful. My folks used to own some property in the Cougar Gulch area some years ago. I had thoughts of someday relocating up there until they sold the property about 25 years ago. I bet it's worth a lot more now.

The only problem I would have with that is you wouldn't have choice where the gas went.
Let's say you had 10 bucks on ya and most of it went into the reserve tank.
You would have to manually dump it to the main tank.
If they were totally separate, then you could put fuel in the reserve tank or not.
The way I think I would do it is to have a separate filler inside the trunk for reserve and only drop it to the main tank if I ran out.
Of course my way would require that you dump it into the main once in awhile to refresh it so it didn't get old.
Your way you wouldn't.

I agree, but I'd plan on periodically dumping the spare to keep it "fresh", and having a remote valve would make things easier. Don't know if I'll ever do this...........there's room for a small fabbed tank below the left quarter, but of course you'd have to either penetrate the trunk or devise some other way of filling.

In the early 70's, the FIRST gas crunch, the RR for awhile had a Johnson/ Evinrude outboard tank strapped into the trunk, with an electric pump to dump into the main.

The dammed gas stations in San Diego (Navy at the time) would leave their signs powered up even though they were out of gas and gone home!!!! There was more than once, I pulled into an open station with both pumps!!!! rattling for air!!!

Went out on a bike ride years ago. Seen the sign that said next gas 100 miles. Looked at the trip meter and decided I could make it. Would have been helpful if it the sign said many stupidly steep hills ahead....and a serious head wind. Was able to coast up to the entrance of the gas station. While I was filling up the attendant told me that several bikers a week coast up like I did....

-
Back