Cluster removal question

-

73 Duster 360

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm trying to tackle my fuel gauge problem and in the process I am removing my instrument cluster to switch out the gauge. My issue is the temp and oil gauges are keeping me from removing the cluster.

I can dismount the gauges from the back but obviously they won't pull through and I cannot figure out how to disconnect the cables from the back to pull the gauge out the front.

My question is do I need to disconnect the cables from the engine side and pull the whole cable through the dash just to take my instrument panel off? Or am I missing something.

The manual doesn't even mention the gauges in the instrument cluster removal procedure. It just talks about the electrical connections to the wipers and headlights plus the speedometer and 6 screws.

Any help is appreciated.

"Generally" Remove battery ground

loosen and or remove the column bolts at the floor plate, remove the clamp bolts up under the column at the dash as well as any trim under the column so the column can drop down. If you are careful in the rotation of the wheel, you can orient the steering so that the steering coupler will be "more flexible, I believe you want the narrow section at top and bottom

If this is column shift you will likely have to remove the linkage, and may have to readjust it. There should be a sliding clamp device on the linkage under the car

Observe and be careful of stretching any wiring, etc. Of course remove all the screws around the outside of dash cluster. Reach up under and unlatch the speedo cable.

You "should" although there may not be much--slack in the wiring to get the harness out enough to unplug. Unbolt the two ammeter wires

Sort of "hinge" the cluster down, out, and then back to you out of the dash. The lower part of the cluster/ speedo hangs down inside the dash frame.

I sometimes let the column down into my lap, and after you have removed the clamp bolts keep a couple of the fasteners and the clamp positioned so that after removing the cluster, you can put the column back up and start a couple of the clamp nuts back onto the studs thus now holding the column back up

"Generally" Remove battery ground

loosen and or remove the column bolts at the floor plate, remove the clamp bolts up under the column at the dash as well as any trim under the column so the column can drop down. If you are careful in the rotation of the wheel, you can orient the steering so that the steering coupler will be "more flexible, I believe you want the narrow section at top and bottom

If this is column shift you will likely have to remove the linkage, and may have to readjust it. There should be a sliding clamp device on the linkage under the car

Observe and be careful of stretching any wiring, etc. Of course remove all the screws around the outside of dash cluster. Reach up under and unlatch the speedo cable.

You "should" although there may not be much--slack in the wiring to get the harness out enough to unplug. Unbolt the two ammeter wires

Sort of "hinge" the cluster down, out, and then back to you out of the dash. The lower part of the cluster/ speedo hangs down inside the dash frame.

I sometimes let the column down into my lap, and after you have removed the clamp bolts keep a couple of the fasteners and the clamp positioned so that after removing the cluster, you can put the column back up and start a couple of the clamp nuts back onto the studs thus now holding the column back up

That's pretty much the procedure I followed but there is a water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge keeping the cluster from coming out. They're at the bottom left of the cluster. The same place the two blanks are in this image I found online.

Considering there is no mention of them in the manual and I'm not seeing them in any images online, I'm guessing they're after market?

sc0516-239604_10@2x.jpg

Post a photo of your dash.

The two guages sound like PO add ons?

That's pretty much the procedure I followed but there is a water temp gauge and oil pressure gauge keeping the cluster from coming out. They're at the bottom left of the cluster. The same place the two blanks are in this image I found online.

Considering there is no mention of them in the manual and I'm not seeing them in any images online, I'm guessing they're after market?

View attachment 1715797790
Those 2 round spots by the wiper switch are not blanks. They have lenses that dont show in that pic. One is seat belt warning. I forget what the other is/was. If you have gauges there, they were added. Good luck fingering out how they put it together.

One lens says fasten seat belt and other lens says check egr.

Did you take the front seat out? Its only a couple of bolts. Then you can lay on your back on the floor and with a flashlight look behind the dash and see what needs to be disconnected. just take your time and be careful with things.

For that Cluster to come out, disconnect everything from the back side, and then drop the Column down just a little. Unscrew it from the front, and it will come out.

-
Back