Clutch Adjustment?? A833

-

rebel715

Reaction score
Howdy, I'm new here and have an 84 D-100 with a /6 and A833 overdrive transmission. I just had a mechanic install a new clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing as well as resurface the flywheel. The clutch now "clunks" as I depress the pedal......even with the engine off. It appears as if the clutch is not fully disengaging. I also feel a jerk as I am shifting gears that seems to rock the truck. Other than the freeplay adjustment on the pushrod that engages the clutch fork, is there any other adjustment to compensate this? I am thinking the ball stud height adjustment that the fork pivots on. Any other thoughts? Thanks!!

Sounds to me like he didn't get the fork or some other part of the linkage installed correctly You should be able to inspect it by removing the bottom bell cover and / or the rubber fork boot

Inspect/ shake the linkage, and carefully look over the "Z" shaft --the tube which goes from the frame to the block. Shake it hard to determine if the bushings have been put back together inside, and if possible have a 2nd person operate the clutch as you watch underneath.

It is VERY possible that the Z shaft has cracked, which allows one of the levers to bend or rotate instead of providing full travel.

If none of this pans out, there is a possibility that you have a defective pressure plate

Sounds to me like he didn't get the fork or some other part of the linkage installed correctly You should be able to inspect it by removing the bottom bell cover and / or the rubber fork boot

Inspect/ shake the linkage, and carefully look over the "Z" shaft --the tube which goes from the frame to the block. Shake it hard to determine if the bushings have been put back together inside, and if possible have a 2nd person operate the clutch as you watch underneath.

It is VERY possible that the Z shaft has cracked, which allows one of the levers to bend or rotate instead of providing full travel.

If none of this pans out, there is a possibility that you have a defective pressure plate

Thanks so much!!! I will try to check this out this weekend!!!

Found the problem. The mechanic did not install the linkage the right way on the "Z shaft". There is a cotter pin and spring washer and the linkage eyelet that was installed "backwards". There is a flat side, and a not flat side. The binding was caused because the non flat side was rubbing on the linkage as the clutch was actuated. I guess I should have done the job myself!!!

-
Back