clutch fork comes loose??

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
Reaction score
the goofiest thing ......I was driving around in my dart a while back and I pressed the clutch pedal in and heard a loud BOOOIIIIIINNGGG and the pedal goes to the floor and it wont engage.

so after the car sits for a long while I finally decide to look into and I find the pedal is moving with all the linkage down to the fork. so I am thinking pressure plate and I pull the cover and everything looks ok in there except the clutch fork is not on the throwout bearing. the little clip is off the fork on one side.

so I push the fork back in and get the throwout bearing clips back on it and adjust the clutch rod ......its almost to the end of adjustment but right on the end. :???:

drive it around the yard and it seems everything is going ok ....and then ....BOOOOIIINNGGG ....same dang thing again.

is it possible that when you are at the end of the adjustment ....crazy things will happen like this?

car is a 69 dodge dart with a slant six and 230 3 speed with floor shift.

Yes. Because the angle of the fork to the throwout bearing becomes too great and causes the throwout bearing to pop off.

Geometry, like RRR says. Probably time for a new clutch. Do check for bent clutch fork though.

the goofiest thing ......I was driving around in my dart a while back and I pressed the clutch pedal in and heard a loud BOOOIIIIIINNGGG and the pedal goes to the floor and it wont engage.

so after the car sits for a long while I finally decide to look into and I find the pedal is moving with all the linkage down to the fork. so I am thinking pressure plate and I pull the cover and everything looks ok in there except the clutch fork is not on the throwout bearing. the little clip is off the fork on one side.

so I push the fork back in and get the throwout bearing clips back on it and adjust the clutch rod ......its almost to the end of adjustment but right on the end. :???:

drive it around the yard and it seems everything is going ok ....and then ....BOOOOIIINNGGG ....same dang thing again.

is it possible that when you are at the end of the adjustment ....crazy things will happen like this?

car is a 69 dodge dart with a slant six and 230 3 speed with floor shift.

What sound did it make???

Can you repeat that for us please???

[ame]https://youtu.be/hoS1MCF8AeI[/ame]

I guess I forgot to update this thread but I found the problem and it was a bent fork pivot.

it was bent enough to be a problem but not bent enough to be easily noticed until I put next to another one.

the car has been re-assembled with the good fork pivot and the problem was solved.

How the original clutch was bent?? No clue but I guess that comes with buying 40+ year old used parts from swap meets and here, there and all over.

Attachments

• CIMG5075.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 204
  • CIMG5076.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 203
  • CIMG5077.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 215
  • CIMG5078.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 211
-
Back