Clutch or flex fan ?

-
A quality flex fan [flex o lite] is the way I go unless it's a resto.
There rated 10,000rpm
They don't go bad unless you drop tools into them while running.

Have both - preferences ? Mild 340.

I have both as well. Most of the performance books I have read say the clutch fan is the way to go. The Felx ca be noisy and dangerous. I will be switching to the clutch once I get the correct radiator and have the clearance.

I'd use a MP viscous unit and never worry about it.

There was an actual dyno test on fans in I believe Car craft about 6-7 years ago. The clutch fans won hands down. Actually, the difference between a fixed steel fan and a clutch fan was 45 horsepower!!!!

There are two types thermo clutch and torque clutch, one slips at higher speeds[torque controlled] and one engages at the right temp [thermostatically controlled].

Thats two.

Thought that a viscous and clutch fan were the same thing?

No, what he said --> TheCrusher

Not all thermo clutchs are the same.
Not all fan blades are the same, or there spaceing, blade angle etc....

Electric fans are great IMO if you can get one to cool your engine, which should not be aproblem at all.

I have one on my Duster now.

I've seen the damage warranteed flex fans "good to 10K rmpm" can do when they expire. I'd rather have the thermostatic clutch fan.

No, what he said --> TheCrusher

Not all thermo clutchs are the same.
Not all fan blades are the same, or there spaceing, blade angle etc....

Electric fans are great IMO if you can get one to cool your engine, which should not be aproblem at all.

I have one on my Duster now.

Hmmm Good to know. I have the factory clutch fan but I don't have the right rad for my dart. When I get a new rad or modify the mounting brackets I'll go with the clutch fan over the flex because they scare the hell out of me. Electric would be the best power saver though.

-
Back