Clutch Recommendation Please

-

HemiOrange340

Reaction score
I'm replacing the original clutch in my 1970 Dart Swinger 340 w/4 speed. Any recommendations as to the replacement unit I should buy? I see there are a few clutch kits out there but figured someone might have experience with one over the other. Ideally I'd like to keep it as close to original as possible.

C/F dual friction, not too close to stock ha, ha.

I'd call Brewers performance and get their recommendations.

I'm running a mcleod diaphragm style unit and it's okay but nothing to brag about.

would like something with more bite and the centerforce would do it for sure but not too friendly on the leg in stop and go traffic.

Centerforce is easily the most often recommended clutch on the forum.

I understand keeping things original but who will ever see your clutch?

Original was a Borg and Beck style (3 fingers), which give higher peddle effort, are less reliable and have a shorter lifespan (in my opinion).

Centerforce offers low effort with higher than stock clamping force, improved reliability and lifespan.

I am running stock stuff in my Dart right now. Held up well now for close to 20 years with no trouble at all behind my stock 340. But when I rebuild my motor I was going to change to a Centeforce with an aluminium flywheel and a Quicktime scatter shield.

Yep; Centerforce is a great clutch,I havn't found them harder to use than stock.Probably just me.

I got one off of E bag...built by Engine Builders out of Florida. Its a diaphram type. The pedal takes less effort than the three finger type and its guaranteed to hold up to 500 HP. I have one and love it. Less than 1/2 the price of a centerforce.

So it sounds like Centerforce is the best thing to use. After a quick search it appears I need the Centerforce DF269739 for my 1970 Swinger 340. I'm getting prices of about $350, which is about 3x what I'm getting from Rock Auto non Centerforce clutches. Does that sounds right? If I were to go with something more stock (and less money) what would you guys recommend?

So it sounds like Centerforce is the best thing to use. After a quick search it appears I need the Centerforce DF269739 for my 1970 Swinger 340. I'm getting prices of about $350, which is about 3x what I'm getting from Rock Auto non Centerforce clutches. Does that sounds right? If I were to go with something more stock (and less money) what would you guys recommend?

I'ld still say spend the dough on the Centerforce. You could buy a less expensive unit, but, how long will it last? I've put quite a few Centerforces in and I like the quality, durability and ease of effort. Some things are just worth the money.

Speaking of which, I just installed a Mcleod dual disc in a customers car. Wow. Is nice.

Am building a '68 cuda, 383. The clutch linkage on these can be a bit delicate running the Borg & Beck. My plan is to run the Centerforce diaphram due to it's lesser pedal pressure. My question is, does one need to remove the over-center spring from the pedal assy. to run it?

I think centerforce says you should remove the spring. From threads I have seen in the past you can run into issues if you leave the spring in.

When you swithc to a diaphram type cutch, you should remove the over center spring.
The pedal will stick to the floor.

-
Back