Clutch replacement on that '65

-

RJG

Reaction score
I have never replaced a clutch or removed a transmission from this era car ('65 Barracuda, 360 with 4 speed, And Doug headers. Does the trans typically have to be removed from the car to change the clutch, or can it be slid back enough, without dropping if exhaust is lowered and drive shaft removed?
The bell housing looks trapped above the Doug headers on one side. I don't know if it will pivot much to drop out. The header-to-exhaust flange is just past the bell housing, so I can remove the back section of pipe for the trans, but the bell housing may be trapped.
Thank you again, rjg

Sorry to be a downer, you're gonna have to drop the trans; disconnect the exhaust so you can put some rearward tilt to engine to remove bell housing

Input shaft has to come out of the center of the clutch to get the clutch out, so it has to come back at least that far and once it's that far you might as well get it out of your way.
You'll be glad you did.
Bell can probably be turned sideways once the trans is out of the way.
You may have to loosen a header from the motor.

Input shaft has to come out of the center of the clutch to get the clutch out, so it has to come back at least that far and once it's that far you might as well get it out of your way.
You'll be glad you did.
Bell can probably be turned sideways once the trans is out of the way.
You may have to loosen a header from the motor.
Thank you Jburch and Trailbeast,
Is it possible to separate the bell from trans while it is in the car. I believe there are 2 upper bolts that seem difficult to feel, let alone remove.

Thank you Jburch and Trailbeast,
Is it possible to separate the bell from trans while it is in the car. I believe there are 2 upper bolts that seem difficult to feel, let alone remove.

Not with the headers in the way.
Tilt the motor back and they may be accessible.

One other thing, you will need to remove shifter and linkage

-
Back