C'mon man

-
Post some pics of yours... I'll get out my "comb" and nit pick for lice. I've put up with similar... "that's just wrong " for 45 some years and my Bee was my Father's before me. Correct to the last bolt and someone's never happy.
No comb needed.....My car is extremely far from perfect but I still go to cruise ins and shows and I drive it as it was intended to be driven. All I intended by this post is to say if you have enough time to install a floor shifter you should make the time to remove the original handle. Its not that hard.

I get what your saying. When I built my Dart and went to floor shift, I immediately started looking for a floor shift column. My buddy just installed a floor shift in his 66 Coronet and it is NICE. He took the lever off but it doesn't bother him at all that the indicator is still on the column.

3Qp0F9h71_CVo_aTc8EMrvgg=w742-h927-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Last edited:
My 67 r/t is identical to this 66 above. Same shifter even except I have the silver hurst pistol grip handle. I left my column shifted collar on as well. And I have a shop full of trophies my car has won and several best in show trophies also so apparently it doesn't bother many folks.

My 67 r/t is identical to this 66 above. Same shifter even except I have the silver hurst pistol grip handle. I left my column shifted collar on as well. And I have a shop full of trophies my car has won and several best in show trophies also so apparently it doesn't bother many folks.
Do you have the column gear selector still in place?

No Roadrunner ever came with a 440 4bbl. Only GTX's and Satellites (and I guess moredoor B bodies if you knew who to talk to) came with 440 4bbls. All Roadrunners up until ??73?? had ONLY 383, 426 hemi, and in 69 1/2 and later, the 440 6bbl. Lots of automatic 383 RR's had column shift. I don't know about 6bbl 440s
My buddy from high school had a brand new '69 beige column auto 383 RR and beat that thing like it was a rental car. One of the few who received 3 tickets from the same cop in one afternoon for laying rubber in town at stop lights.

And this is why I don't take any of my junk to car shows.

Exactly!!!!!!
Hell, I take my junk to car shows all the time, screw what other people think. My junk gets more attention than the Hemi clone car parked next to it. I think people can relate to a car that's not perfect, maybe they have one in their garage. I can buy another car and get it on the road for what it would cost for paint for one of my Scruffy rides.

Good eye. Hope you didn't point out the obvious to the owner. I've thought of showing my 1960's cars, but then having to pay so others can fuss about my car, argue "facts", and suggest all the changes I should make to appease them isn't enticing. Plus judges who fuss over "correct battery" and "correct bolt heads", and sitting all day in the sun to insure no kids jump on your hood or no guy leaning over the fender to peer in the engine bay gouges the paint with his big belt buckle. But I appreciate those who do show their cars. I get enough "you should slap in a Hemi" from "knowlegable guys" in parking lots.

Good eye. Hope you didn't point out the obvious to the owner. I've thought of showing my 1960's cars, but then having to pay so others can fuss about my car, argue "facts", and suggest all the changes I should make to appease them isn't enticing. Plus judges who fuss over "correct battery" and "correct bolt heads", and sitting all day in the sun to insure no kids jump on your hood or no guy leaning over the fender to peer in the engine bay gouges the paint with his big belt buckle. But I appreciate those who do show their cars. I get enough "you should slap in a Hemi" from "knowlegable guys" in parking lots.
No....I would never say anything negative to a car owner at a show...Everyone is entitled to do what they want to there car....I thought to myself that I would never do 1/2 the job. Maybe he had a good reason if there is such a thing....To me I would've left the auto on the column. Nothing wrong with that.

Heck, I can remember back 40 odd years ago, seeing a column shifter and the then now installed floor shifter. Sorta like seeing the clutch pedal left there and the guy installed an auto!

But, I have figured out, and more so all the time, there are a lot of people out there that can not drive a nail, turn a screwdriver, much less a wrench.

I see it all the time with the guy that bought the "project" took it home and took it apart some or all the way, then figured out he has no ability, no knowledge, no tools, no place to work. sees the cost of it all, then after the wife complains enough, it goes up for sale ABOVE the inflated price he paid.... becasue as he says, ya know, ya just don't see these 74 Dart slant six cars anymore, it must be worth ......... even though it NEEDS everything! what has this to do with the column shifter????? Nothing I guess!:BangHead:
:thumbsup::poke::steering::thankyou:

Still have mine too, the gear shift lever is gone though. I just didnt want to take a grinder to the steering column to get rid of it. It's true that it gets over looked after a while anyway. LYS to each his own.

No Roadrunner ever came with a 440 4bbl. Only GTX's and Satellites (and I guess moredoor B bodies if you knew who to talk to) came with 440 4bbls. All Roadrunners up until ??73?? had ONLY 383, 426 hemi, and in 69 1/2 and later, the 440 6bbl. Lots of automatic 383 RR's had column shift. I don't know about 6bbl 440s
69 1/2 A12s could be had with a floor shift (obviously) for the four speed, and with a bucket seat option for the 727. Mine has the (slightly) upscale bench, and a column shift .

He might not want to take a hammer and a punch to it and might have plans for it in another car or just wanted to try out the floor shift who knows either way he's got a hole in the floor ..so but nothing personal just letting you know that kind of irritates a lot of us. The car is an expression of ourselves and say...if I got a hole in my jeans, then my car might also have the arm left on the column or some faded paint or primer some where.
You find it lazy. That's cool. You're entitled to your opinion...but that's all it is.
Could be rust he just bought the car that way, and either hasn’t had time to work on it, isn’t a mechanically inclined individual, or doesn’t give a ****. If I go to shows, I usually don’t let people know which car is mine, and will stand by and listen to some of the comments people make about my car. I remember a couple of guys talking about how my GTX couldn’t be a real X because it didn’t have the correct gas cap or taillights, 2 items that back then were really expensive and almost impossible to find. I got the car that way, and I’m sure all the high dollar hard to find parts were pilfered at the paint shop and 66 satellite taillights and a twist on gas cap we’re already on it. I laughed with them about it like they were so knowledgeable, then opened the trunk to get a beverage, and to watch their eyes open wide, knowing they were bashing the owner of the car to his face. The guy parked next to me was laughing under his breath, and later offered me the gas cap bezel for $30 ( ( a $300 piece if you could even find it) and he would ship it to me. I took the chance and sure enough, a couple days later it arrived in the mail.

So, to the original poster, maybe consider why it hasn’t been “corrected” before you start an entire thread about it here.

MY 62 Lancer still has the 3 on tree, trans sitting out of it, and I has a floor hump and the 230 3 speed for it IF the next guy wants !!!!! IFI do it for myself,the col. shifter goes away and it will shift from the floor.

-
Back