Cody's 440....RRR is off the hook.

-
Some dumb jerk put the jet under the intake manifold. We won't use any names but his initials are J.I.M. I could get the same dumb jerk to install another jet on the outside I suppose.

LOL I guess that means the intake is now installed?

Looks as if the oil control problem has cured itself. Spark plugs are clean and dry. Clean and no smoke outside from the dyno exhaust mufflers.

Cody is funny. Says he doesn't care what this engine makes because all it has to be is better than the 20 lb-ft and 12 hp the 400 was making.

Remember now, this was never meant to be a race engine, but a cheap temporary replacement for a very tired 400.

Stock bore and stroke 440 7.78:1 compression
Took out the cast crank and replaced it with a forged one. Reused the pistons and rods w/o re-balance.
New standard cast iron rings....cheap.....remember.
Stock forged damper
450 cfm 4150
1971-72 stock iron intake
906 heads flowing 260 cfm @ .450". Just because they were here when the 915's failed.
Summit Racing 6400 camshaft
Stock ignition from the Trail Duster hooked to the dyno. 15 degrees initial, 36 total. Never tried other timing.
Our dyno headers

22 minutes of break in with occasionally loading the engine at 3500 rpm to set the rings.

Three dyno pulls only........
1st..........2500-4000 rpm.............380 lb-ft/260 hp
2nd.........2500-4500 rpm.............397 lb-ft @ 2,500 rpm/296 hp @ 4,500 rpm
3rd..........2500-5000 rpm.............410 lb-ft @ 3100 rpm/308 hp @ 4800 rpm

Still not completely broken in......but.....

Hey Dad, now just manually load it at..........

1,600 rpm and see what it makes......127 lb-ft
1,800 rpm?.......................................222 lb-ft
2,000 rpm?.......................................336 lb-ft

"Now son you do realize I cannot really use full throttle without readjusting the dyno absorber water input? The engine will actually do a little more at those rpms."

"Dad, that is already more than this engine needs for it's intended purpose!"

"So do you want to do any tuning, just for fun, while on the dyno? Tiiming? Bigger carburetor? We are pulling near 3" vacuum!"

"Nope. We'll do further tuning in the mountains if necessary. Right now it is everything I want."

There you go people....another report on a another strange engine for ya.

I will wonder what it may have done with tuning and some part changes. The 400 with similar heads and the same cam picked up 26 lb-ft and 76 hp when we switched from a 2-bbl and stock iron intake manifold to a single plane and a 950 cfm 4150.

Dyno a 7.5:1 400? Sure, why not?

I think Cody and I would get along quite well. lol

Hey! We paint these things Ford Blue son.

Not this one we don't Dad.

Cody's 440 002.JPG

On the backwoods dyno...........
Cody's 440 002.JPG

Just your average $20,000 full dress engine bay.............
Cody's 440 004.JPG
Cody's 440 006.JPG

I'll bite, where do those headers exit?

Up high I would assume for ground clearance and to keep away from water mud and dead animals and people as he runs over them. you can see the muffler inside the driver's fender. lol

On his 69 Plymouth Fury the exhaust exited right straight up outta the hood on each side of the engine. They had those flapper covers to keep water from entering the two exhaust stacks. We had cops rolling around on their seats in laughter when they would pull along side us at a stop light and those flappers were flopping up and down.

These exit the fender a foot or so in front of the doors on each side and about 3-1/2 feet off the ground. On cold days the fenders are sure comfy when glassing across the country side.

He likes it. The power this thing has got with a little in car fuel and timing adjustments after the short dyno session is amazing.

But ideally we sure could use some fuel injection.

Went for the first full test drive from 5,000' elevation here in town to 8,000'+ . Runs good up high in elevation but with the lean #53 primary jets in the Holley he needs to run a little of the manual choke in town....just like he had to do with the 400 engine. But now just uses the tiniest throttle to climb the steep sections and idles over the rough and rocky sections.

"Choke doesn't bother me in town Dad. All it has to do is get me out of town and into the mountains. Never going to take it to the big city."

Still have a little work to do but overall a success.

68/69 Road Runner Redneck Tribute....................Not an A Body but kind of an ABC Body.

Road Runner Tribute 002.JPG

Wow, wish we could do another dyno session. He has gone four jet sizes larger in the 450 cfm carburetor. Doesn't use the choke around town and it still runs great at 8,000' elevation. 1st time up in the hills he used transfer case low range, 1st & second gears in the transmission. Same road this time and it was high range, 1st & 2nd gears. Happy boy!

I need to have you design my 440 motorhome engine when the time comes ( ie...once I finish current projects )

This is a cheap and temporary engine made with mostly used parts. As it is temporary, the experimental spray bar parts are only a few dollars and the labor is all in house.

He has plans for a stroker replacement with aluminum heads and a solid roller camshaft.
So after a year or two of running his cheapo <8:1 compression 440 he likes it so much the stroker engine is abandoned and the 440 stays.

Hard to beat accomplishing your goals.. Nicely done. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Done already explained that Famous Guy................

It is NOT what my boy wanted to do!

I got too much oil to the top on mine , if I EVER HAVE TO PULL THE HEADS , I can slow it down with orfices in the oiling holes /////

-
Back