Cody's 440....RRR is off the hook.

-
Hydro cam is perfect for an engine spending it's life at 2000 rpm and below.
Who needs the clacking when crawling up the mountain. lol
Nah, my slant is a solid and it purrs, my Ford 312 was a solid and it was quiet too. Clack is too much lash. I understand the hydro choice though, carry on.

On flat tappet lifters for additional oiling, I grind a groove with a Dremel from the oil to within about an 1/8" of the lifter base. Works on sol or hyd lifters, takes 20 min, been doing it for 20+ yrs. There is a lifter bore grooving tool you can buy, does the same thing, but really needs the engine apart to clean afterwards.

His 915 heads are .990" thick at the lower bolt bosses and measure 83.4 cc's with the 2.14/1.81 valves. We've a muscular 8.08:1 compression.

The prelube and dyno sessions will make that determination. We will heat the oil and the engine before the prelube and see what pressures we get at that time. If they are good it goes to the dyno where we'll double check.

A '77 Plymouth Trail Duster.

What's the purpose for this beasty? Daily driver? Fun machine?

His 915 heads are .990" thick at the lower bolt bosses and measure 83.4 cc's with the 2.14/1.81 valves. We've a muscular 8.08:1 compression.

Yeah? And no matter how hard you preach it, some of these guys will never believe you can make power "with that". lol

Gosh, I wonder why the new HP intermediate shaft (on the right) won't fully engage with the cam gear?

Cody's 440 009.JPG

Give these two pictures a good squint and you can see the oil squirting down on the camshaft lobes.
Cody's 440 001.JPG

We get 68psi hand cranking the oil pump with a speed wrench and 75psi using a drill motor.
Cody's 440 005.JPG

Wow, yesterday one of the 915 heads cracked an exhaust port seam after 10 minutes on the dyno. We drilled some holes in the head between the intake and exhaust spring seats and both the intake and exhaust port walls looked like salt crystals. Crappola casting and on to the scrap pile it went. Cody cleaned up the bowls on some 906 heads and we used the valves from the 915's and slapped the engine back together today. Lots of other things scheduled for next week.....but maybe.

It's his huntin' rig Rob. Some of the roads are nasty, steep and long.
You forgot narrow and bumpy, like off the side of the mountain you go and way down. lol

Wow, yesterday one of the 915 heads cracked an exhaust port seam after 10 minutes on the dyno. We drilled some holes in the head between the intake and exhaust spring seats and both the intake and exhaust port walls looked like salt crystals. Crappola casting and on to the scrap pile it went. Cody cleaned up the bowls on some 906 heads and we used the valves from the 915's and slapped the engine back together today. Lots of other things scheduled for next week.....but maybe.

Dang, there went some compression. I'm sure with Cody's magic it won't matter.

Legit question:
Why would you run that spray bar over roller lifters?

That's a cool mod, Jim. How big are the spray holes?
The mainline feeding the bar has a #63 Holley jet feeding the 16 .020" holes drilled into the bar over each cam lobe for the hydraulic flat tappet lifters.

We may have a problem with that much oil overwhelming the piston rings as there was a lot of oil on top of the pistons when we pulled the 915 heads.

When we fire it back up we won't need to finish the cam break in procedure at 2,000+ rpm to keep the cam oiled so we are going to hold the rpm's to 700 or so. If we find we've got blue smoke billowing from the dyno exhaust stacks we'll just pull and plug the external oil feed line to the spray bar and see if that will clear it up.

Edited for clarity
This is a cheap and temporary engine made with mostly used parts. As it is temporary, the experimental spray bar parts are only a few dollars and the labor is all in house.

He has plans for a stroker replacement with aluminum heads and a solid roller camshaft. In which case the cheap (to us) spray bar may then also be employed due to expected long periods of low rpm on non-pressure fed axles in inexpensive solid roller lifters.

Why solid?

We both dislike hydraulic rollers.

And.....no further explanation will be given on the hydraulic roller as I've grown tired of discussing it.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the stroked tractor engine. lol
If Cody drives roads like the nasty suckers I climb, low rpm and some gear is what you need.

The mainline feeding the bar has a #63 Holley jet feeding the 16 .020" holes drilled into the bar over each cam lobe for the hydraulic flat tappet lifters.

We may have a problem with that much oil overwhelming the piston rings as there was a lot of oil on top of the pistons when we pulled the 915 heads.

When we fire it back up we won't need to finish the cam break in procedure at 2,000+ rpm to keep the cam oiled so we are going to hold the rpm's to 700 or so. If we find we've got blue smoke billowing from the dyno exhaust stacks we'll just pull and plug the external oil feed line to the spray bar and see if that will clear it up.

I wonder if maybe a smaller main jet might solve it as well?

Looking forward to the stroked tractor engine. lol
If Cody drives roads like the nasty suckers I climb, low rpm and some gear is what you need.
On some of them I just close my eyes............or I would have to get out and walk. I suck in some big gulps of air on occasion.

"Even at 73 years old I would rather hike up this mountain son!"

Last edited:
I wonder if maybe a smaller main jet might solve it as well?
Some dumb jerk put the jet under the intake manifold. We won't use any names but his initials are J.I.M.

I could get the same dumb jerk to install another jet on the outside I suppose.

This is a cheap and temporary engine made with mostly used parts. As it is temporary, the experimental spray bar parts are only a few dollars and the labor is all in house.

He has plans for a stroker replacement with aluminum heads and a solid roller camshaft. In which case the cheap (to us) spray bar may then also be employed due to expected long periods of low rpm on non-pressure fed axles in inexpensive solid roller lifters.

Why solid?

We both dislike hydraulic rollers.

And.....no further explanation will be given on the hydraulic roller as I've grown tired of discussing it.

Thank you for the reply and the explanation. It's an interesting concept and not one I'd considered, even though I'm a huge fan of roller lifters and a huge critic of their additional weight.

-
Back