Coffin consoles help Id

-

Capt46

Reaction score
See attached. Please help me ID these.

20210213_114144.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Early, middle and late. LOL I never did know when they changed to woodgrain and locking lid. Someone will chime in. Look plates on Classic Industries site?

Early, middle and late. LOL I never did know when they changed to woodgrain and locking lid. Someone will chime in. Look plates on Classic Industries site?
Looking at the last one is for a duster
Squared at top and button on lid. Cool

Here ya go

The die cast tops are.

1966- mid to late 1968 on the left
(silver, black stripe)

Late 1968-1969, and early 1970 in the middle (woodgrain spring loaded closed)

1970-1976 on the right
(spring loaded open w lock button)

Console bodies are all the same with some differences

1966-1967 Tight small pebble grain

1968-76 large pebble grain

Moulded straight short end front factory A/C (like on the right)

"Hack saw cut off" shortened front dealer installed A/C
(These have the front of the top plate cut off as well)

The ones with lock button have provision for a wire hasp for the lock button.

Last edited:
Here ya go

The die cast tops are.

1966-early 1968 on the left (silver, black stripe)

1970-1976 on the right (spring loaded open w lock button)

Console bodies are all the same with some differences.

Moulded straight short front factory A/C (like on the right)

"Cut off" shortened front dealer installed A/C

Well explained!

66-68 on the left. 69 and 70 had woodgrain but no lock. 71 and newer had a lock. And the one on the right has been cut off for air conditioning.

Here ya go

The die cast tops are.

1966- mid to late 1968 on the left
(silver, black stripe)

1970-1976 on the right
(spring loaded open w lock button)

Console bodies are all the same with some differences

Moulded straight short end front factory A/C (like on the right)

"Hack saw cut off" shortened front dealer installed A/C
(These have the front of the top plate cut off as well)

Dang, I type too slow. :BangHead::BangHead:

I have seen some wierd **** in regards to 2nd gen barracudas. Early 69 models used 67 backup lights to clear out the old 67 assembly line inventory.

Seen a late build 67 with a thumbwheel radio but no lower dash pads because it was a 67.

Other wierd **** too. A lot of times they made running changes at the end of a year model run to get up for next years model. Sometimes they would run out, and start using stuff for next years model.

Hence the disclaimer on advert brochures saying options and colors subject to change after time of print.

Ironically, in a way the pushbutton console lid may have came about as a safety thing masquerading as a feature with an optional lock to store valuables. In a crash the spring loaded closed door can come open and stuff can fly about. Plus it's probably a pain in the *** digging around while driving with it spring loaded closed and having to fight holding it open while digging for valuables.

With a pushbutton console latch and spring loaded open door it stays closed, but is more user friendly.

The one year only 67 glovebox door was spring loaded closed, and could also come open in a crash unless you had the locking one and it was locked. They solved that in 68 with a simple piano hinge, lanyard and pushbutton. The same pushbutton used in 68-69 on the glovebox was used on 71-76 on the center console.

The pushbutton was the same on 68-69 B body cars as well

Last edited:
None of the new repop console lids have a provision for a lock.

I have an original 70 Dart GT with AC and the front of the console is not cut short

I have a couple of those "short cut" console bodies and it is clear they were made that way from the beginning, not cut off later, the fiberglass is molded in that shape. I am still trying to figure out what years/options these were designed for and have not been able to figure it out definitively. Maybe they used them in later cars with a different AC configuration? Once in place, you really can't tell the difference, you have to reach up and feel the end to figure out which type it is.

Maybe 73 up on the moulded flat front. That was the year the heat and A/C unit changed. I had a moulded flat one. I didnt like its look even though you cant see it. I knew it was there. The dealer installed under dash units they definitely chopped off the front of the console, and front of the top plate. Seen plenty cut exactly the same in that manner. This leads me to believe there was a template to cut it off at an exact point when dealer installed A/C was put in.

-
Back