Coil question

-

Roadart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
72 dart 318/904. Went to a car show sat.,sat in line 45 minutes,did not shut off engine. Temp. gauge never showed over 1/2. Car died and would not restart. Trailered it home and found the coil was bad. Coil was new one year ago. Would excessive under hood heat cause that? Show was great had 400 vehicles show up.

That's actually a very good coil.
Under hood temps do play havoc with electronic parts etc.
If this is what made the coil go bad, we may never know.

Coils do fail. What kind of ignition system? Ballast resistor?

How do you have it wired?

Did replacing the coil only, fix your problem?

Last edited:
Do you have the ballast resistor in the system?

I changed the ballast resister out at the show,it did not solve the problem. Yes car started right up after changing coil and seemed to run fine(once it warmed up).

I changed the ballast resister out at the show,it did not solve the problem. Yes car started right up after changing coil and seemed to run fine(once it warmed up).
Don’t be concerned with under hood heat possibly being the cause. Crap coil (highly likely), mismatched ballast resistor, suspect grounds and/or connections more realistic. You did check to make sure the BR was the correct one for the coil that went bad? And the one you have now is the correct one for the new coil, right? Something to keep in mind (if you hadn’t given thought).....source a ballast resistor that matches what ever coil you use, don’t just buy a ballast resistor for a 72 Dart.

Last edited:
IDK the answer, and I didn't want to find out. So installed a big yellow, square-top, Accell, SuperCoil.
That was about 20 years ago or more.
My engine runs at 207*F
She has no scoop. But, the air filter is atop the hood, and the carb is sealed to the underside.
The headers, at the first bend, run 350/400 at idle, probable close to 1000 at WOT. She seems to spend a lotta time at one extreme or the other, lol, but not so much in the middle.
I highly recommend this coil.

-
Back