Coil Voltage issues?

-

Terry8675309

Reaction score
4 yrs....20k dollars....and a failed marriage..... I need HELP!!!!

I have 1970 Dart Swinger 318 bored .060
727 T flight tranny
MSD Digital E Curve Distributor w/ blaster coil.

QUESTION???

What are the cranking volts at the coil supposed to be.There are 12.85 present both sides of the coil before cranking. During cranking, the coil + drops to 10.8 volts. Coil - drops to .26 The Car will not fire. I have replaced and gapped Plugs. Re-Ran my alternator wires for 2 field. New Voltage Regulator as well as a Neutral safety switch because a melted the last one. I have checked for ground and power to each item in the Ignition System as well as the Starting System and Charging System****** I still get no spark.****** Battery was bench tested, as well as coil , Alternator, Voltage Regulator, and Relay Switch. All ohms are exteelmlyclose to the (Overall) specs. I am NOT currently using a Ballast Resistor.ALL the interior, lights, gauges ,and accessories were working correctly before my dizzy install. After the install I am missing the the power to the dash.
If you guys could help I would be gratefull!! Maybe then we can work out the marriage thing? Just Kiddn. Thanks for input.

What type of ecu? What ignition? The voltage to the coil sounds ok when it's cranking. Check to make sure your reluctor to pickup gap is right about .008.

This is the destructions

http://www.msdperformance.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=15032386286

These work similar to Mopar points / electronic, that is you send power to coil + and the distributor electronic module triggers the coil NEG

Your voltage to the coil pos. seems about right. Do you have the ballast resistor bypassed? You tried checking spark right out of the coil tower?

Try running a clip lead (alligator clip) from coil + to the starter relay "big stud" which is battery.

Make sure the black is grounded to block, and I would try unhooking the tach if it's there now

I don't know a thing about the guts of these. Check inside for obvious problems, IE rust and other trash, rubbing of the pickup coil / trigger wheel, looseness, etc.

I never EVEN thought about checking! I put it in "As Is" right out of the box, as snow was falling. I Will check today. Thanks

-
Back