Cold Air Kit

-
Ram air air will provide 15- 20 hp.
Intercooler, I don't know enough to make an educated guess on that.
A friend that has an intercooler that dry ice is put in that made a seat of the pants feel increase.
I cant see that removing the filter from the compartment will provide much extra hp. I would concentrate on cooling the fuel, ex. , Insulating fuel lines, wood carb spacer, fuel cool can. etc. I have read that very cool fuel, not too cold as it will decrease the temperature needed for flash point , can add up to 20 hp

Last edited:
I dont know about HP increase but it sure helped the cooling on the MH . Those doghouses get freaking hot !

:)

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-04 at 6.42.10 PM.jpeg

At this time I don't, but what's wrong with asking about questions about different modifications?
Nothing.
1) The amount of return for a FRESH AIR INTAKE will vary depending on the potential of the engine. Stock Slanty, very little, hot or stroked SB & B-RB's a bunch. Anyone who says otherwise just doesn't know what they're talking about.
2) The amount of return for a RAM-AIR INTAKE is only 1-2% over whatever the fresh air output is, the faster You go, the more You get. 500hp mill going 115-120mph will see 6-7hp on the top end. The effectiveness depends on inlet size and location, You must pressure-probe prospective locations to ID which provides the highest stable readings.
3) You're correct, the tubing will add some heat to the fresh air. Using tubing that is less conductive with a radiant barrier will maximize what bennies the cooler air offers.
4) If this will be carbed, a quality air cleaner/element assy. will actually perform better than a remote filter set-up, which is dependent on cover/inlet approach to work correctly. They certainly can work, but I prefer the traditional filter assy. a la Moroso's w/ K&N element. If space is really restricted, You'll have to assess which benefits more.

I also have to laugh at all of the "not much" posts,....find 5hp 10 times & You've found 50hp. Hello?

All this talk about a cold air intake, and yet running the coolant temperature at 190 plus is considered “the way to make power because of thermal efficiency”.

Even Ray Charles can see the issue with that logic.

Get your coolant temps under control first. Way more power in that than trying to cobble together some cold air deal.

-
Back