Cold Air Kit

-
You can run a tube to in front of the radiator and behind the grill, but would also have to insulate the pipe from all the engine heat else it wouldn't be cold air, more fresh air. Scoops are a option or like others have posted. Might feel a little difference in the seat but nothing that big of a horse power jump, unless its a tuned intake specific to your engine, but that's dyno tuning to check size, length and routing. Its your car, do what ever you want, who cares what others think, if you want it and like it, that's all that matters.

Coolness can come in many forms, so don't forget to add the chilling effects of the under-hood mounted, downfacing spot light LED'sthat are shining on the top of the motor.
What kind of silly stuff is this?

I’m no scientist or engineer but my opinion is that the least amount of restriction in the air induction system is going to create the best volumetric efficiency. You know, flip the lid or open element. All that piping would negate any effects of the cold air. Like I said, just my opinion.
That shaking thing worked pretty good. Best of both worlds.

N
20 hp increase from a cold air intake?!
:rofl:

Cold air intakes can be helpful, but usually they provide a small improvement in efficiency more than anything else. Maybe a couple hp, maybe slightly better gas mileage. On modern cars the improvement is usually due just as much to improved flow in the tube (larger diameter, smooth bends) and reduced filter restriction as it is "cold air". But it does depend on where the air box is located to begin with and how long/restrictive the air tube is, on a car with a good airbox design they're pretty useless. It's splitting hairs to put the filter outside the engine compartment or insulate the cold air tube. The air itself spends very little time in the filter or the tube, so there isn't much time to transfer heat from the filter/tube to the air. Plus the filter and tube are usually insulating type materials to begin with, cotton filter, plastic tube etc so they aren't usually the same temp as the engine compartment air anyway. Could insulating the tube make a small difference? Again, it would depend on how long the tube is and how much time the air is spending in the tube. For a street car? Waste of time. For a race car? Maybe.

And have you bought an early A now? After all the threads whining about how hard it is to find parts for A-bodies you decided to buy the A body style that has the LEAST amount of aftermarket support?

And on that note, who makes a cold air intake for an early A? Pretty sure it would all be generic stuff and cut to fit. You're not gonna find anything that puts the filter outside the engine compartment unless you build it. There are these, but clearly the filter is in the engine compartment (not a big deal really). Clean, cold air from behind the grille with this set up, but this is a race car (Red Brick). And at track speeds of 160 mph like the Red Brick could do an intake set up like this would be a lot more effective. Cruising around town it's just extra stuff and holes in your radiator support.
View attachment 1716017798

20 hp increase from a cold air intake?!
:rofl:

Cold air intakes can be helpful, but usually they provide a small improvement in efficiency more than anything else. Maybe a couple hp, maybe slightly better gas mileage. On modern cars the improvement is usually due just as much to improved flow in the tube (larger diameter, smooth bends) and reduced filter restriction as it is "cold air". But it does depend on where the air box is located to begin with and how long/restrictive the air tube is, on a car with a good airbox design they're pretty useless. It's splitting hairs to put the filter outside the engine compartment or insulate the cold air tube. The air itself spends very little time in the filter or the tube, so there isn't much time to transfer heat from the filter/tube to the air. Plus the filter and tube are usually insulating type materials to begin with, cotton filter, plastic tube etc so they aren't usually the same temp as the engine compartment air anyway. Could insulating the tube make a small difference? Again, it would depend on how long the tube is and how much time the air is spending in the tube. For a street car? Waste of time. For a race car? Maybe.

And have you bought an early A now? After all the threads whining about how hard it is to find parts for A-bodies you decided to buy the A body style that has the LEAST amount of aftermarket support?

And on that note, who makes a cold air intake for an early A? Pretty sure it would all be generic stuff and cut to fit. You're not gonna find anything that puts the filter outside the engine compartment unless you build it. There are these, but clearly the filter is in the engine compartment (not a big deal really). Clean, cold air from behind the grille with this set up, but this is a race car (Red Brick). And at track speeds of 160 mph like the Red Brick could do an intake set up like this would be a lot more effective. Cruising around town it's just extra stuff and holes in your radiator support.

View attachment 1716017798
No I didn't buy a early A body. I wouldn't own a A body before 1968. Just asking a question about cold air kits and so far they are over rated

I'm surprised my 273 even runs. Have you guys seen the small gap around the base and the top on the "Unsilenced" air cleaners? I have a couple photos I will look for.

I'm surprised my 273 even runs. Have you guys seen the small gap around the base and the top on the "Unsilenced" air cleaners? I have a couple photos I will look for.
Probably no less square area than the snorkels and a nice even dispersment.

@Dan the man "I wouldn't own a A body before 1968. "
There isn't as much room for big wedges and such but many have swapped those in and a strong small block or a stroker can be a force to be reckoned with. (Thanks to Ed and Scott both members here)

Ed Fox2.jpg

527500CA-A05F-4E5C-B5AF-B59566FF13E4.jpeg

Last edited:
One more for the list!!

btw, why specifically the 68 cutoff?
There are very little replacement parts available for them and I don't want to be using time looking for and waiting for parts, I'd rather be able to enjoy a car not always be part shopping

@Dan the man "I wouldn't own a A body before 1968. "
There isn't as much room for big wedges and such but many have swapped those in and a strong small block or a stroker can be a force to be reckoned with. (Thanks to Ed and Scott)

View attachment 1716018163

View attachment 1716018165
I could have gotten a 1966 dart but it needed a complete front clip and I wasn't having much luck in finding it so I don't it would be better if I stayed with a car that has replacement body parts available for it.

There are very little replacement parts available for them and I don't want to be using time looking for and waiting for parts, I'd rather be able to enjoy a car not always be part shopping
this sounds like a weak sauce cop out to me.

I honestly can't think of any particular part that you could not obtain in a reasonable amount of time that would preclude from operating or enjoying an early a-body (frog body's being the exception).

exculpation being that said part may not be "correct" or NOS or perfect; it would however not inhibit the operation of the vehicle in any way or bring any less enjoyment in operation.

I could have gotten a 1966 dart but it needed a complete front clip and I wasn't having much luck in finding it so I don't it would be better if I stayed with a car that has replacement body parts available for it.

A Chevy is what you might need. Mopar's aren't the easiest or cheapest to build. But that's the fun of them.

67 had funky steering parts. So that makes them undesirable in my eyes. But the body styles prior to 67 were pretty horrible.
I had a 65 Cuda and when me and one of my friends would get in it it's like we were shoved inside of a tin can shoulder to shoulder. I didn't like the feeling.

Last edited:
67 had fucky steering parts. So that makes them undesirable in my eyes. But the body styles prior to 67 were pretty horrible.
Not so but that's why you need one of each! It's like having 2 girl friends. :rofl:

2.20.22c.jpg

052.JPG

A Chevy is what you might need. Mopar's aren't the easiest or cheapest to build. But that's the fun of them.
They aren't to hard to build. But it's true that they are not the cheapest and in my opinion that's not fun.

this sounds like a weak sauce cop out to me.

I honestly can't think of any particular part that you could not obtain in a reasonable amount of time that would preclude from operating or enjoying an early a-body (frog body's being the exception).

exculpation being that said part may not be "correct" or NOS or perfect; it would however not inhibit the operation of the vehicle in any way or bring any less enjoyment in operation.
Grill, bumpers, hood,this is just a small part selection that's hard to find for a pre '68 dart. As I said earlier, I don't want to spend my time looking for parts that might be useable ( photos can lie ). I'd rather be enjoying a car. There's a guy who lived down the road that scraped a 1974 dart sport because after 6 months of looking for the plastic trim pieces for the interior said that he had enough of wasted time. He would find some pieces and either they would be cracked or tabs broken. He bought a mustang and in a couple of months it was picture perfect.

-
Back