Color coded rim or plain black, why ?

-

MAPS

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Teachers, Staff and faculty
I need to be schooled and schooled right.. So with that in mind, I've come to the biggest if not BEST, Mopar Academic Institution in the U.S. of A. Not to mention all other countries.

Anyhow my question today is,

Why do some cars come with dog dish rims color coded like the vehicle they are on vs. others that have dog dish hub caps on plain black rims ?

Was this simply the customers choice at the time of order or was there a specific reason or cause that made the rim come the color of the car ?
(I.E. Car had callouts, hood scoops, performance engine (no slant 6, etc..)

All and any reply will be sincerely appreciated, suffice to say the correct answer will be amongst the remarks.

Thanks to you all, in advance.

Sincerely
Maps
(Student with "dunce cap")

Here is my spin on the subject. If you ordered a full wheel cover then the wheel was painter black. If the car came with the standard "dog dish" hub cap then the wheel was painted to match the body color. This all changed sometime during the 1971 model year. The factory made a production change to now paint all wheels black regardless to the wheel trim.
I sure others will reply with any needed corrections.

Here is my spin on the subject. If you ordered a full wheel cover then the wheel was painter black. If the car came with the standard "dog dish" hub cap then the wheel was painted to match the body color. This all changed sometime during the 1971 model year. The factory made a production change to now paint all wheels black regardless to the wheel trim.

As usual, info coming in. Thank you 694 S

MAPS

This is correct. The line change was somewhere around May, and I would assume as a cost cutting option. My car was built 07/09 and had black painted steel wheels.

20170918_134421.jpg

694spd nailed it.

The same applies to the rim for the spare tire also, it would match the 4 wheels on the car for the plain steel wheel cars.

1969 for B body cars.

IIRC C body as well.

68 and older- body color mid 69 and newer- black.

Exhibit A for the courts consideration from my 1970 Fury III, body color wheels. It is a factory Plymouth Division hubcap car;

FY4 wheels.JPG

What can I say, one can only learn and get schooled at FABO, couldn't have any other way.
Love it guys, thank you.
MAPS

One more thing, used to have a 70 E body (V car) and a other fellow not too far from me ended up buying a 71 E body after seeing my car (He saw the light as he drove a mustang at the time) well he upped me one step more, even though my E body, was a 4 speed, electric Windows, rear window louder, trunk spoiler, shaker car ... Got one with a Hemi... Even then (79-80) you knew the Hemi was a special car.... But getting away from the topic, at one point he had put on the car dog dish hubcaps and said it was original. Until here I agree but he also had them color coded.
Now is that possible ?
From what I have just learned, it is NOT, maybe early,70 build but by 71 it was impossible from what you guys say that an E body car would have color coded dog dish hub caps.
This is just to settle a dilemma between me and another fanatic Mopar lover.

As mentioned above, the change from body color steel wheels on the cap cars to all black changed during the '71 model year.

It was some time in the spring.

I had a survivor BLACK 71 340 Cuda, it had black wheels and dog caps... now what? Ha

I have to wonder if any other this wheel color stuff varied by plants!??? Just a thought/.

I would imagine that beyond the standard production change date, one could order color keyed wheels.

I would imagine that beyond the standard production change date, one could order color keyed wheels.

Maybe so but then wouldn't it have it on the build sheet ? Just like the build sheet just like Alaskan T/A showed ? Even the darn spare was id'ed.

No need to imagine. This is from a 1970 Barracuda with a 318 ordered by Avis Rent-A-Car.

Special order wheels were coded 99 as you can see. This car also has T99 special order tires.

I have not seen any other examples of this yet, but they are possible.

99 wheels.JPG

100% agree....one other thing to note, is I believe all wheels came from the wheel factory already painted BLACK. Therefore only body color wheels were painted by Ma Mopar. ( Front side only )

100% agree....one other thing to note, is I believe all wheels came from the wheel factory already painted BLACK. Therefore only body color wheels were painted by Ma Mopar. ( Front side only )

Looking fior "Randy" cant fecali bis handle.ma è Spike atout him spelling me some hubcaps and i delete bis text to me.
Plus get back to me.
Thanks
Maps.

I had the stock 14" painted body color, then I got new 15" from Wheelsmith and redlines....couldn't decide to paint them yellow or leave them black so I left them black so far , but leaning towards body color. As far as I remember any Darts I saw with steelies and caps were body color in '69.

Dart 2019.jpg

LS4.jpg

I had the stock 14" painted body color, then I got new 15" from Wheelsmith and redlines....couldn't decide to paint them yellow or leave them black so I left them black so far , but leaning towards body color. As far as I remember any Darts I saw with steelies and caps were body color in '69.

View attachment 1715345019

View attachment 1715345020

that color car looks great with body color wheels.. correct or not if i was running dog dishes i'd go body color on the wheels.. it looks so much better in my opinion.,

View attachment 1715345019

View attachment 1715345020
Since this pic I went to body color wheels and prefer it bigtime. I agree with the idea that they went to black from body color in '71

pass side.jpg

confirming all 3 of my 70 Darts originally came with full wheel covers and therefore came with black wheels including the spare. so indicated on 3 build sheets

-
Back