Color opinions for 68 Barracuda

-

Hersbird

Reaction score
So I pulled my motor and tranny last night and am going to prep the engine bay for the new 360/727 with 73 K frame and disc brake setup. The car is stock white with maroon interior and side stripes. I like the maroon interior but am not sure about the white. The other possibilities would be silver or black, both with the maroon stripes and interior. So What's the opinion? Keep it stock or go black or silver? I am leaning black but think silver might me more unique. would white make it worth more as it's original? It's certainly easier to keep it white.
Here is a black and red computer rendering I found on the web
http://www.smcars.net/forums/attach...294936045-1968-plymouth-barracuda-68pb008.jpg

White is nice. Black is too. If it's a daily driver I'd steer clear of black. Hard to keep it looking clean.

Gunmetal (or A4 silver looks good as well having seen it in person) with black centered rims with a polished lip(or black police wheels with dog dish hubcaps, this would be my preference). If you are a starting with a run of the mill 318/auto car and are swapping in a 360/727 with 73 K frame and disc brake setup anyway, you might as well do the full monte and change it to your tastes and not worry about what you will get out of it on the back end. If it is well-done and tasteful you will not lose any of the the fun factor or money if it is not white...keep a record of whatever you do. If it is well done you will also find it hard to part with when you are "finished".

I have mixed feelings on this one.

Black is really nice but your body work better be impeccable otherwise it will look like crap.

Silver is also nice but seems to be over used now days and would stand out more if you did a darker, charcoal silver-ish hue.

White is just plain classy and always looks good even if your body and paint is not perfect And even better if it is perfect.
White will go great with your maroon interior and would probably be my first choice especially with the originality factor....plus you won't have to be so concerned with jambing a different color when painting.

I've had a white swinger that looked stunning even with a crappy maco paint job.
dart.jpg

Have you considered a off white like a beige. There is a new color beige on Fords Edge and Escape that I really like. Looks good against black and red adjacent parts.
I dont like black mostly because its nearly impossible to keep orange peel out of todays paints. Go look at new cars for proof. Then there's the buff swirls. oh and its HOT !
Silver is nothing more than a shinny gray to my eye. The streets are crowded with variations of gray already. Gray cars on gray roads on gray days equals "Sorry, I just didn't see it".

The white does look good even on the beat up body. That and the trunk still looks fresh is why I thought that would be easy. On my poor budget is the way I may have to go. Good call on the gunmetal, I hadn't thought about darker greys. I'll keep my eye open for those colors.

My son has a 98 Dakota R/T (runs a 14.4 1/4). The color is called Deep Amethyst. It's a deep shade of purple w/ red and blue metalflake in it. Pretty sure it is a pearl paint too. It looks black sometimes depending on the light. I always thought it might look good on a 67-69 cuda. I think a maroon interior would look OK.

Attachments

• P6130138.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 332
well after playing with the mustang customizer on the ford page I like the grayish silver more but I like the white alot as well. I think I'll just stick with the white as it allows me to keep doing the restomod a step at a time w/o tearing it all down to nothing for an expensive paint job I won't be able to afford for years. Just do the engine bay while its out and then get all the mechanics new and get back to enjoying what I have.

Wow, that looks like a sister car to mine. Mine was also an original white red stripe burgundy interior car. Good luck!!!

So I pulled my motor and tranny last night and am going to prep the engine bay for the new 360/727 with 73 K frame and disc brake setup. The car is stock white with maroon interior and side stripes. I like the maroon interior but am not sure about the white. The other possibilities would be silver or black, both with the maroon stripes and interior. So What's the opinion? Keep it stock or go black or silver? I am leaning black but think silver might me more unique. would white make it worth more as it's original? It's certainly easier to keep it white.
Here is a black and red computer rendering I found on the web
http://www.smcars.net/forums/attach...294936045-1968-plymouth-barracuda-68pb008.jpg

My Demon is going to be Black with Red interior........

Rob your car looks great and I enjoyed reading the story on your webpage. My car is a bit different with maroon seats and door panels. I visited your neck of the woods earlier this year to drive my daughter home from Fayetteville (not in the Barracuda mind you!) Her husband deployed to Afghanistan with the 82nd airborne. She's going back with my wife and younger daughter next month but hopefully we all can get down there in October as a family when he'll be back. Definitely will make it to the coast if we do. You will have to fill me in on the best out of the way spots because being a Montana boy I prefer off the beaten path.

Rob your car looks great and I enjoyed reading the story on your webpage. My car is a bit different with maroon seats and door panels. I visited your neck of the woods earlier this year to drive my daughter home from Fayetteville (not in the Barracuda mind you!) Her husband deployed to Afghanistan with the 82nd airborne. She's going back with my wife and younger daughter next month but hopefully we all can get down there in October as a family when he'll be back. Definitely will make it to the coast if we do. You will have to fill me in on the best out of the way spots because being a Montana boy I prefer off the beaten path.

Ah yes, I noticed you have the full maroon! Thanks for the kind words about the webpage.

Oh yeah, let me know when you down this direction. I'll be happy to point you to the sites. Love it here!

-
Back