column-to-console swap

-

KramerSwinger70

70 Dart Swinger360
Reaction score
a plan of mine for a long while was to get a automatic console shift. my car right now has a bench an column shift, which will be swapped out for buckets and a console (when the time and money comes). what is involved. i have a strong feeling i will be swapping in my new motor an trans before gettin a console shift, so ill have to shift trough the column till the console is purchased

is it hard to go from column to console? whats involved? can i use the same tranny?

The swap is fairly easy,just make sure when purchasing another column you get a p.steering one or a manual one(whichever you have?)There is a difference in lengths of the shafts going to your steering box.Yes you can use the same tranny.

If and when you go with the console, you will need the brackets
welded in to mount it.

From my 'Cuda

r004_Medium_.jpg

Here's some from a Dart

DSC00003_Medium_.jpg

DSC00002_Medium_.jpg

To set up a factory center console, OR even an aftermarket floor shifter, would you have to remove the tranny to set the shift cable? Or can you install it with the tranny still in the car?

you can install it with the transmission in the car. Just got my center console done yesterday. Its actually very easy to do.

OK, the reason I ask is because I am actually in the middle of installing a Cheetah turbo action floor shifter...I kinda don't know where to place it on the tunnel...I know it's gotta be comfortable for the driver though...lol..

bump. anyone know if theres a shop that can do this well? is it an expensive process? i cannot wait to make the conversion.

another question i got: my car is currently a /6 auto w/ becnh seat and column shift (duh). is it possible to convert to floor shift now and then later install a 360/904 combo? or should i wait until the sb set up is in 1st?

The stock floor shifter has a rod that attaches to the shift lever on the trans. Same rod for 904 slant or V8. The only part of moving the shifter you may have a problem with is cutting a 4 inch diameter hole in the floor for the down rod. Not everyone has a holesaw that big. LOL
You'll miss your fold down center armrest !

-
Back