Combined for sale listing?

-

Durney

Reaction score
Looked though the classified rules but don't see an obvious answer. I want to clear out all my remaining parts AS A PACKAGE DEAL and have compiled a list, but the list has items from all different sections ( mechanical,exterior,inter,etc) Further I would rather not hassle with selling them and pricing it all separately....any way to do it here? I msg the Mods also.

Durney,
You could post the lot in the other stuff for sale section and title the thread
whatever suits you to describe what you have for sale.

Yep, If it's a " lock stock and barrel" sale put it in misc. But I will guarantee you within a few posts someone will want only a part or two and then it's game on. That's why the rules want you to split things up. Good luck

IMHO

Selling things in a garage sale fashion is a better and more efficient way to sell parts regardless of the type.

If you list 100 items you push 90 of your posts and all of everyone else's posts off the home page.

In a garage sale fashion 1 post many items it stays on the home page longer, allowing more people to see it and not bumping everyone else's posts off.

Case in point and not to point fingers. A member in the last few days posted numerous individual items for sale.

The home page was exclusively his posts.

I might have wanted something he had for sale but he bumped his own posts off so I will never see them unless I go digging and the search engine the way it is probably would not find them.

ALSO.... I think that the paying members should have a say on the rules of the site.

Stepping down off my soap box.

IMHO

Selling things in a garage sale fashion is a better and more efficient way to sell parts regardless of the type.

If you list 100 items you push 90 of your posts and all of everyone else's posts off the home page.

In a garage sale fashion 1 post many items it stays on the home page longer, allowing more people to see it and not bumping everyone else's posts off.

Case in point and not to point fingers. A member in the last few days posted numerous individual items for sale.

The home page was exclusively his posts.

I might have wanted something he had for sale but he bumped his own posts off so I will never see them unless I go digging and the search engine the way it is probably would not find them.

ALSO.... I think that the paying members should have a say on the rules of the site.

Stepping down off my soap box.
...and once again the home page (and probably more) is almost entirely one guy's for sale ads.
Might need a limit on how many FS ads each person can post in 24 hrs. Every nut and bolt gets it's own ad. A limit may encourage more "garage sale" type postings.

Thread moved to website questions and suggestions.

But at 10 items per ad, that would eliminate the problem very fast.

And create other problems...

Actually, it can be and often is, pure confusion. I know, it looks good on paper, but there are a number of reasons the rule is there.
  • It's hard to classify such an ad as mechanical, body, etc, making it harder to find.
  • The ad always needs to be updated to reflect items sold, which often doesn't get done.
  • There are many more questions per thread due to the number of items, creating much longer threads and making it much harder for us to moderate.
...to just name a few of the reasons for the single part ad rule.

This rule has been in place for over 18 years.

RatRodAl does a good job on posting and keeping up with multiple item sales.

That's what I was thinking, always itemized and always successful for both buyer/seller. Zero issues and several categories in one.
"Yard sale" style with 5-10-20 parts per thread seems fine with me, but what do I know.
RatRodAl does a good job on posting and keeping up with multiple item sales.

Maybe a "Garage Sale " section could be made. But it does take a lot of time and work to manage it. I make sure I have time to watch it and manage it in a timely manner to let other members know what was sold and who wants it , so I can also keep up . I see some adds where I can't tell what parts are for sale or rhe price. I don't know how the poster can keep up with it. And you had better be a Gold Member just so you get all your PM s and not fill your inbox up in the first few and waste everyone's time.

Maybe a "Garage Sale " section could be made. But it does take a lot of time and work to manage it. I make sure I have time to watch it and manage it in a timely manner to let other members know what was sold and who wants it , so I can also keep up . I see some adds where I can't tell what parts are for sale or rhe price. I don't know how the poster can keep up with it. And you had better be a Gold Member just so you get all your PM s and not fill your inbox up in the first few and waste everyone's time.
"Your inbox is full" that's a whole other subject. May be you can't place an ad unless you are Gold or add a Silver level for sellers with a larger inbox but no other privileges. Just spit balling here.

Last edited:
GOLD is Golden. Small price to pay to belong to a great site ,for information, access to parts ,and knowledge !
Just get off your wallet and pay up !

GOLD is Golden. Small price to pay to belong to a great site ,for information, access to parts ,and knowledge !
Just get off your wallet and pay up !
THe entertainment value is worth way more than the price of admission. :lol:

Not to high jack this thread or ramble on , but yesterday I was posting a distributors sale add. I hit the post button by accident before I added the pictures. I immediately started editing the add and I see I have an alert. After I get the pictures added, I check my alert. It's @toolmanmike busting my butt (Lol,, like a duck on a June bug ) wanting pictures !
:poke::rofl:

Not to high jack this thread or ramble on , but yesterday I was posting a distributors sale add. I hit the post button by accident before I added the pictures. I immediately started editing the add and I see I have an alert. After I get the pictures added, I check my alert. It's @toolmanmike busting my butt (Lol,, like a duck on a June bug ) wanting pictures !
:poke::rofl:
Thanks for understanding Al.
:rofl::rofl: Do you know what a pain it is to try to go back to that same sale thread to check if photos were added? Ya, I know I can be a pain. Just doing my job keeping things straight and running smooth. (trying) :popcorn::lol:

I get that the site owner might have more work to do but for the rest of us (paying members) it seems like a small ask.

At 50.00 per year, I'm happy to pay the price for the pm space etc. Unless there are only a hand full of gold member's it only takes 1000 gold member's to bring in 50,000 to the owner plus ad revinue. All I'm saying is listen to your customers.

I talk up this site every chance I get at car shows. I figure the more people who know about it the better for all of us.

Perhaps you could make a form or template that sale ads go through to be posted.

Item description
Asking price
Shipping (included / extra)
Photo

At 10 items per ad that is not a lot to manage. if seller creates place holder posts then edits them, all of the sale items stay together.

The search function is almost useless the way it returns results, I have never found an item to buy using the search function.

Wanted ads are almost as bad, you post a wanted ad, a short time later 20 posts pop up and your wanted ad is off the home page, only the 15 people who saw it will ever know it existed and they did not have what you were looking for.

At 10 items per ad that is not a lot to manage. if seller creates place holder posts then edits them, all of the sale items stay together.

The other thing I didnt mention, if you have related parts, then its fine to put them in one ad. ie. Duster Suspension parts

The other thing I didnt mention, if you have related parts, then its fine to put them in one ad
Why does it matter?

I'm sorry for busting your chops but some of the rules are so arbitrary.

Why does it matter?

I'm sorry for busting your chops but some of the rules are so arbitrary.

They really aren't. It's about keeping things focused and easy to find things. You have a side view mirror, a starter and power steering pump, all in one ad. What forum do you put the ad in? Exterior parts, mechanical parts or steering & suspension parts? Doesnt matter because no matter where you put the ad it will be partially wrong and will cause confusion. Then the questions in the post will be about all 3 parts making the thread tougher to follow as people read. Then what happens when you sell a part? You can only edit the ad for a week. So then what? Mark the thing sold and start a new ad with the other 2 parts, starting the cycle again.

Is it possible to make sales adds editable for a longer period of time. That would make it more likely to be updated as parts sell.
Put the sale items on their own, meaning they can't hog up the regular posting space for non shoppers.
Since selling adds more work for the moderators and such, Just like you have a Gold Member annual fee, have an annual sellers fee of some sort. After all they are doing it to make money, and some mostly only post sales adds and add very little else to the site content..
Make the first (insert qty.) adds for sale free after a minimum number of standard posts to qualify. Then charge a fee for high volume sellers.

Might not be a bad idea to repost the site rules for all sites regarding selling rules. Or when someone is posting a sales add, the site rules automatically pop-up for them to see and acknowledge.

And why no Gold Membership or the ability to post pictures on PM's on the FEBO site only ? Whenever someone wants to see a picture of something, you are forced to give them your email address so they can go off site to get more info. Only on FEBO do you have to do that.

Looked though the classified rules but don't see an obvious answer. I want to clear out all my remaining parts AS A PACKAGE DEAL and have compiled a list, but the list has items from all different sections ( mechanical,exterior,inter,etc) Further I would rather not hassle with selling them and pricing it all separately....any way to do it here? I msg the Mods also.

So if you have several items that fall into different categories, how about making a package deal in each category by grouping that category's parts together? Just a thought.........

-
Back