Cometic gaskets

-

Scampin

Reaction score
Hey guys. Finally have most of the pieces to get the dusters F.A.S.T. motor together. Using cometic head gaskets. Cometic says to install dry, others say to cut the rivets and copper coat all layers, others say to use a thin coat of rtv around all water passages on each layer, others say to use an anaerobic sealer around each coolant passage....
What's the latest trend? Tips and tricks? If it matters, small block Mopar, cast iron j-heads, arp studs.

PXL_20230813_195732662.jpg

Cometics I have used I installed dry, just like you would a 1008 felpro gasket.
Cometic does recommend a certain finish quality on the surfaces to insure seal.
every cometic I have used was on fresh stuff from the machine shop, never had an issue.
that said, current motor I am using 1008’s

I have sprayed them with Copper Coat, and let them dry before installing. And have not had any problems. The 440 I just took apart, the builder used Moroso multi layer head gaskets, about.050 thick. They started the engine with no water, and ran it for 5 minutes. Then let it cool down, added water and ran it some more. He said it was to set the head gaskets. I never heard of that before. But the engine broke on the first run, so I don’t know if the head gaskets were going to leak

I use cometics on all of my boosted stuff. Never once put any sealer of any kind on any of them. I do ask my machinist for an RA of 50 or less when I use them. Never a problem.

Cometics already have a sealer on them.....the black coating.

I have sprayed them with Copper Coat, and let them dry before installing. And have not had any problems. The 440 I just took apart, the builder used Moroso multi layer head gaskets, about.050 thick. They started the engine with no water, and ran it for 5 minutes. Then let it cool down, added water and ran it some more. He said it was to set the head gaskets. I never heard of that before. But the engine broke on the first run, so I don’t know if the head gaskets were going to leak
That's what I have done. With successful results.

I truly believe Cosmetic is the best option for an aluminum head to iron block. But that's where my experience ends.

Last edited:
I would not install them any other way but how Cometic says. Seems like a no brainer.

I've used the blue hylomar spray with success in the past if the surface finish is a bit rough. But as TT5.9mag said if your surface finish is RA50 or finer install them dry.

I would not install them any other way but how Cometic says. Seems like a no brainer.
All things being equal I would agree. However, I used the copper spray to give some "Tackiness" (For lack of a better word.) To help prevent an insulation shift.

I know it's a bit "Old school paranoia." But it worked well. And I slept better. Lol.

I get rid of the bottom center rivet. For whatever reason it would get pinched between the block and head on mine. When I tweaked the valve I copper coat just the sealing surfaces for the first time ever. They were new gaskets. No issues so far. Really no logical reason other than Atwood does it and my frame of mind at the time was, “I don’t want ANY issues!!!!!” I’m also not ashamed to say I throw a bit of stop leak in when it has been apart.

Last edited:
I have heard of guys reusing multi layer steel gaskets and separating, then copper coating them to be able to do that. Personally if I take a head gasket off, it ain’t going back on.

Yeah, I didn’t reuse the old cometics. It’s just not worth the possible aggravation to me. Under time pressure? Ok, but not if I can get new ones.

Yeah I took them apart and coated them. Just found out today that there was a "scanning error" with ups so instead of today, I am getting the pushrods Monday. Can't win.

I get a kick out of this! What is a self proclaimed " dusters F.A.S.T motor " ?

I put mine on my 408 as instructed. DRY. But on my current build I had my offset pushrod heads on and the Indy intake sucked oil twice and had gone through maybe 10 heat cycles. So I removed the heads, drilled out the rivets, carefully cleaned each layer, and sprayed them lightly on each side with Hi-Tack. As always I cleaned the heads and block with laquire thinner. This is the second season on them with zero issues.

Sorry, do not know anything about F.A.S.T.
What I am referring to is members acting like 6 yr olds jumping off a dock screaming ' my awesome biggest besttis ever red flaming radio flyer wagon with wings and the most awesome purple rubber band you ever saw. And, it still makes me smile. I guess some people have to stand out some out above everybody else with their tale on fire, saying look at me! Okay, not this time, F.A.S.T. class, I got it!

I get a kick out of this! What is a self proclaimed " dusters F.A.S.T motor " ?
? 10.49 @128.2mph using a factory thermoquad, j-heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, 2.5" full exhaust, all steel, full interior, on a 6" wide poly glass reproduction tire.

PXL_20221021_191557545.MP.jpg

PXL_20221023_014419471.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, do not know anything about F.A.S.T.
What I am referring to is members acting like 6 yr olds jumping off a dock screaming ' my awesome biggest besttis ever red flaming radio flyer wagon with wings and the most awesome purple rubber band you ever saw. And, it still makes me smile. I guess some people have to stand out some out above everybody else with their tale on fire, saying look at me! Okay, not this time, F.A.S.T. class, I got it!
It's just another class of racing man. No need for all the drama. Factory Appearing Stock Tire is what it stands for. It's a real blast to watch. You should find some videos.

Now that you explained it, I have actually seen some video's. Just didn't really know what I was watching, other than they seemed a little fast for a stock car.
Thank you RR

It is a nice car, he has something to be proud of, and I now know that he wasn't bragging about it. But, people that do are still and will always be a bore. History proves that, and History has a habit of repeating itself. Have a great life.

If my junk looked and ran like that I’d be running around tellin everyone how awesome I am. That thing is a work of art.
Hoping to get a little more out of the combo this time around. New heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. A little more squeeze. On paper it should be interesting.. reality I will probably be running with rhet..

I installed Cometics dry on an unmachined 5.9L Magnum block with Edelbrock heads. I asked my machinist (who specializes in high-HP drag racing engines) about the surface roughness on the block deck and he said "don't worry about it." Been running for 6 years now with at least 10k miles.

-
Back