"Commando" Air Cleaner idenification ?

-

RON REAGLE

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 65 Barracuda factory Commando 273 that I'd like to put factory correct 65 style air cleaner and valve covers on. How do I identify a correct 65 air cleaner over a 66 or 67?

There is a great post on valve covers Thanks to TOOLMANMIKE that was VERY helpful

Beaver Falls PA, I have family there. My father was born and raised in Fallston. There's no difference in the Commando air cleaner between 65/66. I not sure about the 67.
20190427_180329.jpg

If it is C.A.P with the nipple,you can get the lid from slant six cars (64) and have it chromed.
This one is a slant lid that I black wrinkled to match the valve covers.Matches in real life but looks lighter in photo.
IMG_1687.jpg
IMG_2799.jpg

This was on My 318, but I believe that it came from a 65, 273, Barracuda. -- Not 100% sure, about this. --
Valiant - Engine Compartment - On Forum.JPG
--

I bought one at the Mopar Nats last summer before realizing there were distinct differences in years. Although my car is already modified I like "correct" year stuff on my cars. The one I bought has a nipple for a hose but it's a separate piece that is screwed on NOT just a nipple sticking out of it ? I can post pictures later

KCLD0017.JPG

I have a 65 Barracuda factory Commando 273 that I'd like to put factory correct 65 style air cleaner and valve covers on. How do I identify a correct 65 air cleaner over a 66 or 67?

There is a great post on valve covers Thanks to TOOLMANMIKE that was VERY helpful
There's a few threads here about the HP 273 air cleaners. I will look through my bookmarks and see if I saved one or two. I believe the slant 6 and big block tops are very similar if not the same. The 273 top was the only one chromed though. The HP bases will fit the original carb but not a aftermarket Edelbrock or Holley. Someone on here produces a new base to make them work. I just bought a cheap chrome top air cleaner and used the base. It looks like I have a project to do. Compiling information on these air cleaners and writing a informational post.

engine 296.jpg

Toolman, I do the same 9'' or 10'' cheepie chrome air cleaner ,use the base for the 5 1/8'' air horn.Depending on height the filter can be used.
IMG_0728.jpg

There's a few threads here about the HP 273 air cleaners. I will look through my bookmarks and see if I saved one or two. I believe the slant 6 and big block tops are very similar if not the same. The 273 top was the only one chromed though. The HP bases will fit the original carb but not a aftermarket Edelbrock or Holley. Someone on here produces a new base to make them work. I just bought a cheap chrome top air cleaner and used the base. It looks like I have a project to do. Compiling information on these air cleaners and writing a informational post...

Let me know if I can help. I have quite a few untouched examples. The same top was used on HP big blocks, /6 and 66 2 barrel cars.

Here's some good photos from @FISHYPETE . Note the CAP hose nipple comes out of the housing at a 90° angle and the tall chrome breather is used with this application. Of course, the Plymouths are Commandos and the Dodges are Charger 273's. Also note the ribs on the original hose.

IMG950970.jpg

IMG950972.jpg

IMG950961.jpg

View attachment 1715506831

View attachment 1715506832

IMG950963.jpg

air cleaner.jpg

air cleaner.jpg2.jpg

Last edited:
If it is C.A.P with the nipple,you can get the lid from slant six cars (64) and have it chromed.
This one is a slant lid that I black wrinkled to match the valve covers.Matches in real life but looks lighter in photo.View attachment 1715504488 View attachment 1715504486

Yes you can do this...but the very bottom lip is different...most would never notice but they are different. I have a thread from years back I posted these differences with pictures of the air cleaners I took.

There are only two different Commando 273 air cleaners
California (CAP, with the nipple)
None CAP without the nipple.
Some 273 2bbls had the same air cleaner but black (top).
Some slant sixes used the same air cleaner but black (top).
Was also used on 1962-66 361, 383 and 413 4-Barrel. (per Nick's Garage and I have seen it).

California Commando
2018-03-17_019.jpg

California 2bbl (same car)
2018-09-01_001.jpg

As noted these are the same air cleaner.

There are some slant sixes that use a smaller air cleaner and flares out at the bottom.

Alan

-
Back