commando valve cover

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
Preparing to paint these. How should I clean the fins? I have the wrinkle paint for the covers.
The motor is coming out in the next two weeks to be painted and the engine bay can be cleaned and painted

I remove the fins and epoxy them back on. It just makes it so much easier and they come off pretty easy. clean with alum cleaner and finish with 0000 steel wool

I used Maguire's All Metals, hand towel, and dremel buffer to clean/polish the fins. They were removed from the covers and didn't look bad to begin with.
One fin had a noticeable scratch/scar. I buy nail buffers from the Dollar Tree. These provide 6 small strips of various sanding and polishing papers. Just peal them off the hex shaped block their on. Worth all of the dollar at the little table top detail jobs.

I agree you should probably remove them before painting. It's not too hard. I used a fairly sharp putty knife to get way under and sort of cut at the old epoxy.

I had mine powder coated with a black wrinkle finish. Seems really durable. I don't have any experience with the paint.

My fins were scratched up pretty good. I stripped the anodizing, sanded out the scratches, media blasted them to texture the spaces between the fins, polished the ridges, and then had them re-anodized. It was a ton of work, but they look brand new.

Hey guys, you don't have to sale me on CudaChick 1968's work. I have seen it before and she is fabulous, I mean her work is fabulous. I have a time and a financial restraint at present. I retired last year and thought I had it all planned out. But my wife lost her job and we are trying to not dip into other funds and live on social security and my part time job. She has just returned to work two weeks ago so things will get easier.
My son's both graduate college next week and you know what that costs.
I'll just have to do mine myself for now.
If it doesn't work out I know CudaChick 1968 will be ready to take care of my project

-
Back