Commando vs Charger

-

Dana67Dart

The parts you don't add don't cause you no trouble
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In the literature Dodges were branded Charger for the 273 4bbl and Plymouth were branded Commando for 273 4bbl

I can not say I have ever seen a Charger branded unsilenced air cleaner on a Dart with a 273 4 bbl.

Am I missing something here?

Commando was the Plymouth designation, Charger was for the Dodge.
1700945013554.png

1700945055678.png

1700945284732.png

1700945316833.png

For some reason "Commando" seems to have become the generic term for the 273 4bbl., but the Dodge version was just as common. Maybe because the "Charger" name became too confusing once the Charger was introduced as a stand-alone B body model in '66.
Outside of the pie tin, they were identical motors.

Yup, '65-'67. Through the entire run of the 273 4bbl. engine.
I'm not positive what designation/air cleaner was used on the '66 275 h.p. D/Stock Dart, though. And that was Dodge only, no Plymouth version.

Both (Charger and Commando) were an adhesive-backed aluminum applique- most reproductions are just stickers.
Ulf ( @65dartcharger ) offered some accurate reproductions that he had specially made a number of years ago.

So what “SOUNDS” better?
I’m going charger (sad trumpet sound)
Or
I’m going COMMANDO! (80’s montage music plays in the back ground.)

Commando was the Plymouth designation, Charger was for the Dodge.
View attachment 1716170690

View attachment 1716170691

View attachment 1716170692

View attachment 1716170693
For some reason "Commando" seems to have become the generic term for the 273 4bbl., but the Dodge version was just as common. Maybe because the "Charger" name became too confusing once the Charger was introduced as a stand-alone B body model in '66.
Outside of the pie tin, they were identical motors.
I agree 110%. I try to correct people when it needs be. Like the Mod Tops. That's a Plymouth thing. Floral Top is a Dodge thing.

In the literature Dodges were branded Charger for the 273 4bbl and Plymouth were branded Commando for 273 4bbl

I can not say I have ever seen a Charger branded unsilenced air cleaner on a Dart with a 273 4 bbl.

Am I missing something here?
Like I said in the other thread, it's entirely possible for a Dodge to get a Commando air cleaner. Someone grabbed the wrong one. That stuff happened all the time back in the 60's and 70's.

Yup, '65-'67. Through the entire run of the 273 4bbl. engine.
I'm not positive what designation/air cleaner was used on the '66 275 h.p. D/Stock Dart, though. And that was Dodge only, no Plymouth version.
No callout on the D/Dart unsilenced air cleaner. It was 14" in dia and painted black.. Made of unobtainium along with the Holley carb.

Like I said in the other thread, it's entirely possible for a Dodge to get a Commando air cleaner. Someone grabbed the wrong one. That stuff happened all the time back in the 60's and 70's.
Local guy ordered a new '70 Challenger. Really nice car that he still has.

The car was delivered to him with a 383 pie plate on the air cleaner. To this day, 53 years later, he is convinced that the car is some special 383 small block that Chrysler had built but wasn't supposed to be sold. He has invented a back story about calling Chrysler etc.

It's sad... and he has a bunch of Mopars that are all really nice.. All have some "1 of 1" story that may be true, but you can't believe because of the Challenger.

-
Back